The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have a few questions, my new trans from hts got here yesterday and I'm going to put it in Sat. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he looked it up and the book calls for 8.5 hrs.

How long will it actually take?

Any advice on what to do to make it easier?

Time and headache saving tips?

What to do and what not to do.......

·
1,189 Posts
the hardest part I had with mine was getting the converter on the oil pump. it's not like a chevy where you just grab the converter and spin it till it locks. This one you need to make sure you line up the tabs on the oil pump so you can place the converter on the trans and strap it there till you get it in the air. This was the part I had the most trouble with. as I did this with truck on the ground laying on my back using a tranny jack. another issue is the cross member fits really tight so I used a porta power and spread my frame rails enought to get it out. I was told just knock it back with a hammer but mine would not budge. if your pulling your stock and then putting in the new one you will be there for a while. I found it easier to take the lines off and out of the way as to not bend them and make sure not to loose any of the brackets for them.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

What is the best trans fluid?

Any other concerns?

·
1,189 Posts
fluids are always a big debate and I was told by the guy I know that did my trans who went to a siminar on all the diff trans fluids that mopar 4 is the best stuff to use. he said when the tests were done that it performed just as well as the redline and other higher priced fluids. he said compared to most it was actually better and cheaper. But I am no expert on it all.

once you get the trans in and all the fluid in it will take a while to get the fluid to have built up enough pressure to move. also make sure to adjust the cable to the trans thats in the throttle position sensor(can't think of the name) because if thats out too much it could fry your trans quick from what I was told. thats all that I can think of right now

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more questions,

when the instructions say pour a cup of atf into the pump do they mean down the input shaft into the trans?

Also, i was sent a resistor that needs to be soldered into the 31 pin (orange wire) do I need to take off my lock up switch and put the thing back into the fuse box?

***01QUADCAB*** Do you mean under the truck on the side of the trans or on top near the vp?

Anyone else know of any do's or don'ts.

I was able to get everything out today but my "help" ended up getting drunk and wasn't much help after about 9:00 tonight so I'm going to finish up Sunday. Any suggestions would be great.

thanks, Eric

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
01quadcab, what do the tabs look like? How will i know that they are lined up and the tc is in the way it needs to be?

·
1,189 Posts
up by the vp under the plastic cover. It's nice knowing a guy that did trans for dodge for years. Put the fluid in the converter so it's not dry when firing. I put almost a quart in mine. I don't know about the resistor. What was it supposed to do? Make sure you strap the trans to the trans jack so it doesn't fall off. I used a tie down for this. I put mine in with no help and it was a pain. It's nice to just have someone to hand you tools etc. a lift would have been nice not cold concrete to lay on. if I remember any thing more I will add it

·
232 Posts
it shouldnt take 8 hrs but it wouldnt hurt to take long to make everyhting is just right. and yes the crossmember is the hardest part of the deal u can use a portapar or use a nice sized hammer and start from the back were the notches are and hamemer foward ur torque conv wiill go on pretty easy there is nothing special just spin in counert clockwise and clockwise to get it pushged all the way in. make sure is all the way in or you will have prob when mounting trans. just make sure ur trans is tilted back so the tourqe conv wont fall out. when installing trans. its not hthat hard u should be fine.
the resistor isnt hard to do either just make sure u get cgood connection and sodier the wires. it is for the higher pressure VB so it wont set a trans code.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, i couldn't get the sodier to stick so i just taped it in for now, but it hasn't thrown any codes so i think it has a pretty good connection.

the worst part was the cross member, the portapower worked great, we also used the bobcat bucket to "help" with getting the cross member to slide back in between the frame rails and when i tightened the bolts everything pulled back just like i hoped it would.

the trans is wicked, i love it, well worth the time and money!!!!! and when you lock the converter and go through the gears its like riding in a drag car.:93C_peelo

·
1,189 Posts
thats good that it's in. it takes 8 hrs to put one in if your doing this alone laying on your back with a tranny jack that doesn't like to work. it took me about 5 hrs to get mine it but I had issues finding all the parts my dad took off and then moved later

·
1,189 Posts
did you make sure and flush your trans cooler and heat exchanger before you put in the new trans? I had issues with both of mine and have a diff cooler and no exchanger

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I installed it I blew the lines out until there was no more fluid coming out.
Why did you take the exchanger off?

·
1,189 Posts
the heat exchanger had so much crap in it that when I changed mine it clogged the check valve up so I had to go in and blow it all out again. Then about a month later as I don't drive a lot working in the shop behind the house it stuffed my trans cooler up. All the clutch dust etc sits in the exchanger and have heard of a few people with problems with this. philly was the one that gave me the idea and it helped. I run 138 all day long on my trans now

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that i will be ok, the trans I just took out was only about 8 months old and was installed by a local shop here who only does trannys. When I blew all the fluid out no grit or crap came out just clean fluid.

Do you think I will be ok? Any instructions on how to delete the heat exchanger?

·
454 Posts
iwannagofast said:
thanks, i couldn't get the sodier to stick so i just taped it in for now, but it hasn't thrown any codes so i think it has a pretty good connection.

You need flux to get the solder to bond very good, then use shrink tubing to seal it up.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried for, no kidding, a half hour to get that crap to stick, I used the flux and tried 3 different kinds of solder and still couldn't get it. So I'm just going to wait for another day and try.
The funny thing is that I can use all kinds of welders, torches, plasma cutters, ect, but couldn't get the solder to work.LOL

·
1,189 Posts
just watch your temp on it. you may be fine. Mine looked clean as well. But we all have different luck. I just used an fitting to 1/2" barbed hose ends and bypassed it that way.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds easy enough:Thumbup:

Where can I get a cheap trans temp gauge (after spending what I did for the trans and converter), all my other gauges are autometer and the trans temp is the only one that I dont have, I also need to figure out a place to put it since my pillar is full.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
iwannagofast said:
sounds easy enough:Thumbup:

Where can I get a cheap trans temp gauge (after spending what I did for the trans and converter), all my other gauges are autometer and the trans temp is the only one that I dont have, I also need to figure out a place to put it since my pillar is full.
Im not sure if the 99's have them but there is a little cubby to the right of the radio and thats where im mounting my fp gauge since my pillar is full. If not theres always a steering column single pod. Its just personal preference but i think with a steering column pod its just too cluttered

·
1,189 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts