The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me know what you guys think

I have a DP chip 40,60 tow settings...Tranny shifts good now.
I am thinking about upgrading to 180CC injectors as well.

My transmission is still stock. How long will it last if i was to switch injectors and re-burn the chip to power them.

I do not do any racing. but do tow heavy.

1997 E40D

·
4,827 Posts
There really isn't any good way to answer that question. Since you tow, it may not like that combo to well.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well at least some suggestions LOL

i hope it will at least last until the summer when i can upgrade the tranny

·
1,726 Posts
Get the injectors. :Thumbup: Thats basically the setup I have and man does it wake up the beast inside!!

You can also do a little of this ----> :smoke

I still have the stock tranny and am pretty much going to go until it start acting up or shells out. I haven't done a whole lot of towing since the injectors but the tranny has seemed fine so far.

Also I have yet to let the tranny shift up a gear at full throttle because I will guarantee I would have tore it up by now just doing that 5 or 6 times. At 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it feels like it shifts ok but I don't want to push my luck.

PS
When reburning the chip I would reccomend getting a performace setting of like 120 or 140 or an Extreme. I don't use it really often but man it is fun when I do. I let my buddy (that has a stock 6.0) drive my truck and I had it in Extreme and all he could say was "Damn that is rediculous!" Before that all he could talk about was how fast his 6.0 was. I havent heard a word of that since LOL

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thanks: :Thumbup: :Thumbup: :Thumbup:

Thanks thats the anwswer i was lookin for!!!

I will probaly do a performance setting, stil have to talk to Jody about what i need to get done...

Thanks again

:smoke

·
382 Posts
hey circle when your ready for you tranny contact brian at brians truck shop www.brianstruckshop.com brian and patty will take care of you very well. just tell them what you have done to the truck and what you use it for and he will set you up.

·
6,337 Posts
If you tow with them injectors you will eat that tranny alive... You have to remember that 180 injectors are going to double your fuel rate!!!

·
1,726 Posts
CSIPSD said:
If you tow with them injectors you will eat that tranny alive... You have to remember that 180 injectors are going to double your fuel rate!!!
Double is probably right.
By the way Tony was up doing some tuning on Luke's tuck today. I ran down and had him do a little tweaking on my chip. He also changed my extreme setting to a different burn (not at my request).

After I went and drove it he asked me "Whad ya think"
I couldn't keep the grin off my face while saying "That baby's got some smoke!!" :smoke

I don't know what Luke ended up with exactly for numbers but I think he was 650 or better on fuel and well over 700 with NOS.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:damnit Joe don't tell me that...:splat

·
1,726 Posts
I didn't mean that the tranny would last forever I just said that if you drive it easy you can get by for a few months.

I have towed my 12,000 pound enclosed car trailer about 150 miles since the injectors and as long as I didn't hammer down every time I got up to speed the tranny seemed ok. I have also just done some daily driving and a little bit of rodding it equaling 2,000 miles and it seems fine so far.
I will not be suprised if and when it takes a crap though.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's all i need it to take it easy until summer...i'm gunna get the injectors and if the tranny dies it dies...its just the way it goes

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
platinum01 said:
hey circle when your ready for you tranny contact brian at brians truck shop www.brianstruckshop.com brian and patty will take care of you very well. just tell them what you have done to the truck and what you use it for and he will set you up.
The pom poms are flying. He's asking for advice and opinion on his unit not a buy this commercial. After 2 of these posts you should have the rah rah girls award:poke: Here you go :cheering :cheering :cheering.

Circle5, avoid the burnouts after injectors readhttp://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31656

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never really rod around with my pickup anyways.

Thanks for all the advice

·
6,337 Posts
You are sooo bitten with PMS... Your going down an expensive road...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That stock tranny will last.keep up on the fluid don't get it hot and install a sonnax/tri spring kit along with a valve body.I ran around at 399.8 give or take for over 2 years on my ford reman.

I know what your looking for.You are looking for a that tranny will live suggestion to give you a feel of confidence when you add more power to your engine.The truth is even with my suggestion that tranny may puke its guts out the 1st hill you hit with a load.It may not.There is another person that I know of that is running 530 hybrids and a QSSB with a stock tranny and no upgrades to it.He tows heavy with his 550 and 4.88 gears.

Good luck and joe is right with any performance modding once you start getting into the inj's and the such your heading down a very expensive road.It doesn't get any cheaper niether.No matter how much you think it is with the nickel and dime mods.There is always something else out there that will want you to put down more power.

Mike

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL i am not power hungry like all you other guys

I just looked at it like this
157000 miles on original injectors. 157,000 on original tranny
Neither can live a lot longer. might as well upgrade the injectors now while i have this chance and the tranny will be next.

How about egt's with the bigger injectors...how much will they go up compared to the smaller injectors?

·
214 Posts
Yep, the EGT's should climb a good bit I'd imagine since its doubble the amount of fuel the stock injectors flow. Your going to need to add an intercooler if you havent already, especialy if you tow alot. You can do that fairly reasonably though with a used/takeoff intercooler.:Thumbup:

·
1,726 Posts
I dissagree.
You can tow with stage 1's without an intercooler. When you send the chip in to be reburnt tell Jody that you need a position that will not make as much egt while towing heavy. Essentially stage 1's are the exact same injectors as you have with the ABILITY to put in more fuel. They don't necessarily have to program the chip to put in full fuel.

I had Tony put a position on my chip like this and it is definitly down on power compared to the others but I haven't got to 1200* yet.
So far though I haven't needed that postion. I can tow my trailer in Perf. Tow and even Extreme if I want.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
kainers said:
That stock tranny will last.keep up on the fluid don't get it hot and install a sonnax/tri spring kit along with a valve body.I ran around at 399.8 give or take for over 2 years on my ford reman.

I know what your looking for.You are looking for a that tranny will live suggestion to give you a feel of confidence when you add more power to your engine.The truth is even with my suggestion that tranny may puke its guts out the 1st hill you hit with a load.It may not.There is another person that I know of that is running 530 hybrids and a QSSB with a stock tranny and no upgrades to it.He tows heavy with his 550 and 4.88 gears.

Good luck and joe is right with any performance modding once you start getting into the inj's and the such your heading down a very expensive road.It doesn't get any cheaper niether.No matter how much you think it is with the nickel and dime mods.There is always something else out there that will want you to put down more power.

Mike
One of the huge factors in tranny life is how much wear and play it has. Thats why you see trucks that run HP without problems. Same is true of rebuilds. Most rebuilders don't fix play just install parts. The condition of the core that's rebuilt determines it's life on those rebuilds. Why they blowup on the pad or run on. Ford never speced end play or parts to reduce it during rebuild. Only Ford or rebuild manual specs are to measure endplay for proper reassembly. Some builders have figured it out and set play limits in their rebuilds. It's why some cost much more $.

Circle5: I think Joes telling you, when you double the fuel it can cause problems.
If that's what you want to do and work it out, then that's differant. :Thumbup: Having a tow program might be one way to keep egt's in place.

·
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
racehauler said:
I dissagree.
Essentially stage 1's are the exact same injectors as you have with the ABILITY to put in more fuel. They don't necessarily have to program the chip to put in full fuel.
So let me get this straight. I know nothing about injectors!!

if i get 180cc injectors it will not flow more than stock injectors unless the chip tells it too?

Can you run 180cc Injectors without a chip?

If someone could explain how this works that would be great because i'm retarted when i comes to this stuff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts