The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today on the highway while towing about 4k trailer load, the truck would shutter while trying to pass at speeds around 60 mph. Anybody com across this yet or have ny ideas? thank you

·
750 Posts
today on the highway while towing about 4k trailer load, the truck would shutter while trying to pass at speeds around 60 mph. Anybody com across this yet or have ny ideas? thank you
sounds like a engine miss to me.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drove the truck for the first time since that trip home. About twenty miles after leaving my driveway check engine light came on and gave me these codes. P0128,P2080,P2291. any info would help.

·
186 Posts
P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
Description: Indicates that the thermostat monitor has not achieved the required engine operating temperature within a specified amount of time after starting the engine.
Possible Causes: Insufficient warm up time
Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck-open thermostat
Inoperative engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor

P2080 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) sensor for a biased signal value. Following an 8-hour soak, the PCM records the EGT sensor temperature value at key ON, engine OFF. After several minutes of vehicle operation at vehicle speeds greater than 40.2 km/h (25 mph) the PCM calculates an expected key ON, engine OFF value. The PCM determines what the expected EGT value at key ON, engine OFF should have been based on inputs from other sensors. The test fails when the difference between the expected calculated value and the actual recorded value is greater than 40°C (72°F).
Possible Causes: Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Extreme changes in ambient temperature soon after key ON, engine running
Damaged EGT sensor

P2291 - Injector Control Pressure Too Low - Engine Cranking
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel rail pressure (FRP) during the engine cranking. If the FRP does not increase to the calibrated threshold while the engine is cranked this DTC is set.
Possible Causes: FRP sensor or circuitry
Fuel pump control - low pressure pump
Fuel pump control - high pressure fuel injection pump
Fuel volume control valve or circuitry
Fuel pressure control valve or circuitry
Poor fuel quality

Makes me suspect an electrical issue somewhere common to the three sensors.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WoW thanks thats alot of info. Just got it back from dealer. coverd under warranty it would have been $2100. Not sure what to to about keeping this truck past the hundred grand mark. muck to expensive to get fixed at dealer. But have you seen the prices of trucks holy cow.......

·
186 Posts
I think you misread my question. We want to know what was found and repaired to resolve the various DTCs you reported. This adds to the collective knowledge base here so we have more information the next time a similar problem is reported.

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK sorry bout that. This is what they told me.

P0128 was due to a thermostat being stuck. They said this caused the shuttering being that the ECM was reading that the engine was overheating even though it was not it was telling the engine to defuel.

P2080 was due the dealer. A week before truck was at dealer for the up pipe being cracked. They said it was possibly due to them.

P2291 The dealer said could be from me changing fuel filters a few days before. After changing filters it took awhile to get fuel up and air out.

Hope this helps... Who knows if they are blowing smoke or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts