The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has an early 99 F250 4x4 automatic and we put the trans probe for the temp gauge in a test port on the driver's side of the tranny but I think it is too high and is not reading anything no matter how long or what he drives. Is there a lower port or different hole the mount the probe in?

Thanks
David

·
1,854 Posts
what's the temperture outside?
when its cold out mine doesnt come off 100 unless im towing heavy

·
TDG Mafia Member # 37
901 Posts
From my experience that is normal. My truck does not move off 100* either when it's cold out. Even pulling my 24' fully enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded which weighs in around 7500 lbs. I don't see over 115*. It takes mid to high 90's in the summer pulling my fifth wheel to see temps over 170*. Gene :mafia

·
120 Posts
Do you have the guage grounded properly? The temp probe in my early 99 is in the same spot and is reading just fine.

Tim

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so do you guys think that the test port is fine even being kinda high, as on mine its right inline w/ the linkage it seems like and his is higher??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry for the confusion, he has one that we know of thats what we are asking i was saying that my probe is in a port that is inline w/ the linkage lower then where his is

·
120 Posts
Sounds like mine is about the same as yours. On the driver side, in front of the linkage just above the pan. Your buddy's is higher?

·
120 Posts
Is it a single wire probe? My autometer trans gauge has two grounds, one for light and one for the probe. The two are tied in together along with my other gauges for a single ground. If the probe ground is not grounded properly then it won't show a reading. May just want to double check this.

·
120 Posts
99powerstroke said:
yep that is where mine is and his is higher in a test port

His early 99 should have the same ports as we do. I guess just move it down assuming his truck has the same ports as the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah, the tranny case didn't change for a long time. Plugs are all in the same position.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ndrorydr said:
His early 99 should have the same ports as we do. I guess just move it down assuming his truck has the same ports as the rest of us.
well thats the thing mine is a 2wd and his is a 4x4 so i wasnt sure if that is the same tranny or not and he doesnt have the same port as I do that is why we did it up higher w/ his port was...

·
120 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts