The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundering a few questions.... one what is the normal operating temp of the trans on a 95 2wd. and what would be the max temp to reach.... The reason i ask is my 95 had some front end dammage and the tranny is not going through the radiator to cool it any more and i have put in an exturnal cooler but dont think it is large enough... so some general temp rules would be great if any body has any. Also the trans has 214,000 miles on it and i want to see how long i can get it to last.... Thanks

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
I have always heard ambient temp + 100* and your gold. Saw a chart somewhere else that lists the temps and mileage limitations....ie....190* shortens the life to 100,000 miles.... 200* to 75,000......dont quote me on those numbers exactly.

But if your not hitting 210*-220* for any length of time I would think your ok. ( These are all fluid break down temps, not tranny parts.)

You never said what temps you are hitting now. That would help.

Reactions: Stacked6600

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the temps were running about 180ish around town. I put a larger cooler and they hang about 150. I drove this weekend about 100 miles on the highway and it never got over 160. i think i am ok... with the smaller cooler my temps got near 200 in town.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
@ 160 I would say your good. Long as the temp doesn't get to hot. (I'm also a firm believer in frequent fluid changes ) And you don't beat the snot out of your truck it should last you awhile.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Most vehicles with trans oil thermostatic controls operate around 180*F, at least that's the goal. Hotter than 200*F for an length of time is bad but so is colder than 160*F.

·
SRW Cartell #27
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most vehicles with trans oil thermostatic controls operate around 180*F, at least that's the goal. Hotter than 200*F for an length of time is bad but so is colder than 160*F.
Interesting ... Ok

·
Former Ford AutoTrans Eng
169 Posts
The E4OD in a '95 does not have any type of thermostatic control on the transmission temperature.

Anything below 220°F is fine. You can go as high as 250°F, but not for more than 1/2 hour.

The trans was designed to operate around 170°F to 180°F.

·
454 Posts
the temps were running about 180ish around town. I put a larger cooler and they hang about 150. I drove this weekend about 100 miles on the highway and it never got over 160. i think i am ok... with the smaller cooler my temps got near 200 in town.
180* sounds about normal for around town city driving. It will always be lower on the highway not only because you have a lot more air flowing threw the grill, but also your TC is locked up.

190* is a little warm but not hot to where you have to worry, but wouldn't constantly run the truck if its always at 190*. From what I have found out, between 155* and 175* is a prime normal operating temp for trany's. Heat kills trany's.

·
1,836 Posts
Putting the trans cooler in engine coolant raises the temp to near thermostat temperature when the weather is warm.

When the converter is in torque multiply mode the heat is shed to the coolant.

225 is the most that I want to see and 160 the least - for extended operation.

If it goes above 250 the next oil change will include a couple of gallons of trans fluid and at 275 it won't wait for an oil change.

·
535 Posts
my 97 is 4x4, will run 150-180 depending on the outside temps, can get up to 230 if towing, I had some dirt in the trans cooler so i put an RV cooler in front of the radiator, mine too does not go through the radiator, i would like to add a fan to mine too i want to try to get it to stay in the 150 range..... thats when i get a new trans, hell when i put the new cooler in i found that the line had a hole rubbed in it from my DP yet the fluid was full so i never had any flow at all for god knows how long who knows what the temps hit then

·
8,265 Posts
I have always gone by what somebody in the trans business told me...that 70 to 90 degrees over ambient is fine.

It was also referred here in this thread about the chart that talks about how much you shorten the life of your fluid if you hit 200 degrees, 210 degrees and so forth. That chart has been around forever and a day. Today's tranny fluid...especially the synthetic kinds, are built to take heat much better. I've seen 225 on my tranny when I got caught in a steep slow speed, high rpm climb. I run synthetic in the tranny, and have never had any issues. I called the builder of my box and he told me not to worry...and I haven't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts