The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 62000rds trans shutters and stays in 2nd gear wont down shift to first when you come to a stop have to do it manually goes in streaks will do it for a while then behave for a couple of weeks. any help would be greatly apper.

·
3,514 Posts
first off welcome to the Garage!
Do you have any mods done to the truck yet? If you have any serious mods, fueling box, injectors things of that nature, that would be the most likely reason.
Other than that, maybe ur TV cable needs adjustment, or possibly a PCM issue. If you call Bill or Stephen at DTT 1-886-504-4002 they will probably be able to greatly assist you with your question, they are experts with dodge diesel transmissions. Dave Goerend from Goerend transmission could as well, but I don't have his number. If the truck is stock, my guess is that it needs to be adjusted.
Do you tow really heavy loads with the truck, that could also put a tranny out.
Sean

·
31 Posts
Welcome to TDG!
I had the same problem with my truck when it was stock. Yeah you might have to adjust the cable, but i took mine to the local dodge dealership and I forgothow much they charged but the had to flash the computer for the tranny. That seemed to do the trick for me, then again it just might be the cable.

·
31 Posts
sorry, I hit the button twice, stupid me

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Dave's number is (563) 778-2719.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all stock and theyved flashed it once before and it helped but its back again and the trans fluid is pretty dark. just boght the truck so dont know how well its been takin care of from previous owner. could it be the box that controls it or is the trans just junk.

·
3,514 Posts
could be either really. 62000 shouldn't be the trans itself, especially if the truck is stock. But you never know. In my experience these transmissions start by slipping the converter badly and or searching for gears, that doesn't sound like what you're describing. I would imagine its your PCM, sometimes electronics go bad. But it wouldn't hurt to change the fuild and the filter and see if that gets you anywhere.
Sean

·
80 Posts
Dont Under Estimate The Dodge Auto, They Are Junk Stock, A Buddy Of Mine Bought One New, At 4,000 Yes 4,000 Miles The Tranny Was Replaced. This Was A 1998-- good ole w93

·
3,514 Posts
TOYZILLA383 said:
Dont Under Estimate The Dodge Auto, They Are Junk Stock, A Buddy Of Mine Bought One New, At 4,000 Yes 4,000 Miles The Tranny Was Replaced. This Was A 1998
wow, that is impressive. I haven't seen too many trucks do that, in fact I can safely say thats the first I've heard of. usually on stock trucks, these tranny's seem to do relatively well in my experience even towing. but thats just what i've seen which compared to how many trucks there are out there, is just a tiny fraction of a percent.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
sstockton said:
usually on stock trucks, these tranny's seem to do relatively well in my experience even towing. but thats just what i've seen which compared to how many trucks there are out there, is just a tiny fraction of a percent.
Sean
:iagree

The downfall of the Dodge trannys, the Ford E4OD, and the Generals' Allison is modding. They were designed to do a job at a certain amount of HP and TQ. Of course by human nature a little more is good so a lot more is better when it comes to anything. Well we ask more of the trannys than they were originally designed to handle and they break. Then we get mad and upset that they are junk when we have caused our own problems. When the Allison came out everyone thought it was the next coming. Well they were the thing for about 2 years. Now everyone sees they are just like all other autos, they break too. The only difference is they were built to hold 400hp from the factory and the other brands were built to hold 250-300hp.

You know besides the exception of costing more us manual guys have the same issues. Although instead of clutches, valve bodies and torque coverters, we just need clutches. You hear far less complaining from the manual crowd when they have to upgrade clutches, mostly we just do it and move on. While a lot of the auto guys jump up and down and can't believe that POS broke. Now I know a clutch is a lot less than built tranny, but it's like this. You know when you buy one or the other what's going to happen, so you might as well just accept it and move on.

Anything can break at anytime. Knowing this and coupling it with doubling and in some cases tripling the amount of HP, you have to be ready to pay if you want to play.

·
3,514 Posts
Bouncer I just want to say thank you. Most people don't realize that they are there own downfall and the cause of all their problems. As for me, the only problems I've had with my dodge are ones I've created. Except the lift pump thats not my fault.
Sean

·
3,514 Posts
SouthSide1 said:
what will these dodges go for miles before a rebuild is necessary
Usually well past the 62k mark you are on. Mine has 115k and the last 20k of that I've had all the mods in my sig. and it still works, its sad and doesn't put the power to the ground like I want, but it still drives shifts and tows fine. I'd be surprised if it was the trans going out. But like others have said, some times they just go out early on there own. My brother had an E4od go out in his ford at 20k, bone stock. So bad things happen sometimes.
My experience though is that these transmissions will last to about 180-220k if well taken care of and stock.
Sean

·
31 Posts
Yeah, I seen that you have had it flashed before. I had mine stock flashed once and yeah like you said it fixed for a short while. Well the same thing happened to me and i had it flashed a second time and that fixed it, but not all trucks react the same it still could be possibly more. That was about 25 to 30 thousand ago and stock at that. Now I have put all this stuff on it and it still drives tq convertor is getting really bad, but still works. I have a B-D tq convertor and VB to go in it. Can't find the time though. I still haven't had to rebuild it yet and it's just rolled over 118,000 today. Hope you get her fixed.

·
3,514 Posts
get it reflashed again and maybe reset your APPS as well. I doubt it is the trans itself going out, something is probably sending a bad signal to your PCM causing it to do some weird things.
Sean

·
706 Posts
it sounds like the sensors are bad,both transducer and gov soleniod can be purchased for about 200 from any chrysler dealer.It is very common for the gov sol to get a little junk in it,and malfunction.The sensors should be replaced as a set.Replacing them involves dropping the pan,and a pair of t 25's and a few 7/16 bolts.This is what I would do after you've checked the basics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts