The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and girls, I am pulling the trans next week and I need to know what I have to do to bring it up to the current specs. The trans is an '04 and I know there was something about the reverse gear pin backing out or something like that. I can't remember but there was a recall. I need to know what this was and what I need to do to correct this. Also if there is anything else such as solenoids or anything else that I need to upgrade please let me know. I have all the basic things covered that comes with a master rebuild kit.

Thanks
Scott

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
If you've had the truck since it was new, then you are on the right track. But, if you bought it used, and there was a recall, I would go to the nearest Ford house and have them run your VIN# and see what work has been done on it, since it was built. They'll tell you that they can only go back and see what work has been done by that dealership, but that's not true. They can go all the way back to inception date.

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the truck when it had 24K miles on it and I had an oasis done before I bought it. I can't find the report but I do not recall seeing anything on it other that a reflash and a couple of issues with the tilting column and cruise. I want to make sure I fix the little issues when I go through the trans even if they aren't needed. What do I need to ask for when I order the part to correct the rear gear issue and what other issues do I need to correct? The truck was built 12/03.

Thanks
Scott

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on guys, help me out. I know there were other issues with the early transmissions but not sure what they were. What do I need to do to my '04 to bring it up to specs with an '07? It seems as though there was something about a solenoid or 2 as well. I have done a search and I come up with alot of topics but nothing as to what I am looking for.

Thanks
Scott

·
3,306 Posts
What i heard is that the reverse lug snap ring was popping off and sending the planitaries through the case. I guess this happened because the groove for the snap ring wasn't deep enough.

·
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
650 Posts
check the pins on all trannies...my 04 trans was not in the recall range and it was just starting to wear..had to weld it! Definately get the transgo kit. its really not that great but it has a new reverse snap ring that is beefier than the oem, that alone is worth the cost of the kit.

By the way extended...had a little coning problem goin on there lol..

·
883 Posts
StuckinMud said:
check the pins on all trannies...my 04 trans was not in the recall range and it was just starting to wear..had to weld it! Definately get the transgo kit. its really not that great but it has a new reverse snap ring that is beefier than the oem, that alone is worth the cost of the kit.

Doug knows his stuff!

·
Too much into it now...
2,011 Posts
StuckinMud said:

Thanks to nothing but the EDGE with Attitude.:damnit

You should see the steels...they were a pretty blue color...

That was the first tranny...
The second tranny turned out to be a FLASH issue...That was very expensive lesson...:eek:mg :bang :bang :bang

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Just a question...as long as you have it open...any thought on doing something like a Suncoast rebuild instead of an OEM rebuild? I know it is more expensive, but might be worth it if you tow heavy or want to do some engine performance mods (tuner, etc.).

Ralph

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys. As far as going Suncoast, I have put 130K miles on my truck with alot of hauling and alot of racing even with a banks kit. I have never had any problems what so ever until recently and that problem has disappeared. The only issue that I am having now is that sometimes it will not shift into overdrive and an occasional HARD shift. My fluid is still pretty and red with no signs of being burnt and I haven't experienced and slipping at all. The only reason I am going to rebuild with a stock kit is simply because of what I stated above. I don't believe I need to spend all that money. I may be wrong but If I can get another 130K out of a new one then I will be happy. Now with that said I am still looking for the other issues for the early model trans. I know there was some other stuff besides the pins coming out. Speaking of pins, what do I need to order to resolve that issue?

Thanks Guys
Scott

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, I am pulling the trans tomorrow to see what else I need for the rebuild. Up until today the old girl had been doing fine but the delay between reverse and drive has come back, this time with an erratic idle as well. I tried a few experiments and when the trans is in neutral the idle is stable but when she is in gear the stumbling returns. The shifting under throttle is fine. I would like to fix this problem as well but not sure what is causing it. I am hoping it is one of the 7 solenoids as I am planning on replacing them all. Now I have heard about the wiring harness being bad, is this due to rubbing on the trans or just bad wires? Would I be better off to swap out the harness or is that a major ordeal? Please give me input as I only want to pull this trans one time.

Thanks
Scott

·
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
650 Posts
Extended Power said:
Thanks to nothing but the EDGE with Attitude.:damnit

You should see the steels...they were a pretty blue color...

That was the first tranny...
The second tranny turned out to be a FLASH issue...That was very expensive lesson...:eek:mg :bang :bang :bang

Believe me I know...improper trans tuning has cost me more than one trans!

LOL I'll be pulling it again in the morning!

·
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
650 Posts
Scott, you will know if you have a pin issue. look at the reverse planetary and see if the pins walked also look at where they rub due to sticking out too far. The upgraded snap ring is the only real issue you should address for a "std stock" build seeing as you are already going to swap all the solenoids. At you mileage replace every seal that comes in the master kit! Make sure all your babbot bearings look good and if they are copper worn replace them. Its a good idea to goto ebay and get the atsg manual for 15-20.00 or get you hands on the ford cd with the details that explain it to a tech...that means they are somewhat idiot proofed! Make sure all your stack clearances are set and when its fired up be sure to follow the learning sequence for the adaptive strategy. However while your in there it would be a good idea to beef up a few things even if its adding extra stock clutches. Due note there is more than one pack that need the clearance set and it can only be done with different thickness snap rings. This may mean dealer trips to possibly order parts. At that mileage I would seriously consider replacing the torque convertor. Take special not if you see ANY metal at all in the pan replace it as well as the front mounted external oil cooler. replace the solenoid body sandwich screen gasket..dont try to clean it! Make sure everything is absolutely clean! standard stuff but things people do cant surprise us. If you need any technical info pm me and I will see what I can do to help...ill be doing the same thing this weekend

·
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Stuckinmud, that is exactly what I was looking for. This is going to be a build that will take me a weekend or two, good thing I have something else to drive. This will be my first rebuild or shall I say my first supervisory position on rebuilding a trans. I have a friend that owns a trans shop but he has never touched a 5R110 but has done a few 4R100's. He is going to rebuild it for the experience and all I have to do is buy his drinks and food. Hopefully he is used to McDonalds! I will more than likely be asking you some questions so be prepared.

Thanks
Scott

·
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
650 Posts
Just make sure you buy him drinks after the work is done...not while he is working on it LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts