The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been having some trans shifting issues and yesterday i decided to flush her out. i was way way over due on this . I have 60k on the original fluid. it was a bit burnt, and a bit dark. I changed both filters and the trans deffenetly shifts better now

when i dropped the pan to change the internal filter there was some extremely fine metalic dust on the magnet. it was covered with a small layer of this . only on the magnet , not the whole bottom of the pan.

So my question is this considering the 60k on that fluid would this be considered normal or not? is it ok at all to find some amount of material on that magnet?

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
It is normal to have a little. That is what the magnet is for. I know when they opened my stock trans after beating on it with a Predator/Edge combo (how's that for stupid?), there was a layer of metal shavings on the ENTIRE bottom of the pan! This was back in early 04', when we didn't know any better. The thinking was that Predator helped the shifting. Ha! So there went a trans and head gaskets all in one shot.

Anyway, I think a small amount on the magnet after 60K is ok. The burnt part is not as comforting though. I would keep a close eye on it. Are you handy enough to do a rebuild kit? That would be the best thing for it. Or pay to have it done.

Like all stock parts, even when treated well with additional power, they will fail quicker. I'd look at it more often and consider a rebuild if it is in your budget.

Ralph

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i feel like an idiot that i waited this long. Im not qualified to rebuild an auto tranny, My knowledge with transmissions is extremely limited. is it in my buget....well i can afford it but would rather not have too lol Im assuming that the burnt smell and dark color of the fluid means it got hot?

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Yep.

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what would cause it to get hot? ive not once seen the temp gauge in the hot zone. I know that gauge sucks but if it were to get hot it should move a bit

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Clutch plates can only take so much friction. Especially the stock set up. When you run tunes, greater forces get exerted through the trans and the clutch plates. Sooner or later, they give. A rebuild kit will alleviate that, and it should last considerably longer if you get a more extreme one. I recommend Suncoasts.

Ralph

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thought the SCT was supposed to help the tranny. also im only running tow tunes , nothing aggressive power wise. so does this mean that the SCT does not help the trans?

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone??

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
The SCT does help the trans. But you have to keep in mind that just as there is a limit to what the engine can take without upgrading hard parts, there is also a limit to what the trans can take without needing beefed up.

Not to beat on you over your maintenance habits, but changing the fluid at something closer to the recommended intervals (30K) would go along ways to extend the life of your trans and becomes even more vital once you put more power than stock into it and thus, started working it harder than was intended.........

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no your right i deserve the beat down. Actually im pretty darn good about maintenance . For some reason i thought the change interval was a 50k and i knew i was a bit over but didnt know i was actually almost double the change interval.

·
775 Posts
When you had the fluid changed, did they do a hole system flush or just drop the fluid in the pan? If a full flush, thats good.The metal shavings are normal. You said she shifted good after the service is good too. The burnt fluid causes varnish and that will cause your valves to leak causing slippage of your clutches. Keep a close eye on it and flush your system in 15k miles. This will help remove any varnish left in the trans. Your probably ok but just keep an eye on her and ad a bigger trans cooler or one off a F450 or F550 if you tow heavy. I change my fluid every 15k.

·
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i did the change myself. the method i used was 1) drain the pan 2) fill with new fluid 3) drive the truck a few miles 4) drained pan again 5 ) dropped pan installed new filters and refill . I used 20 qts of fluid. I saw no varnish at all

·
Former Ford AutoTrans Eng
169 Posts
heavyhaller said:
bigger trans cooler or one off a F450 or F550 if you tow heavy.
The trans cooler on an F450 and F550 is identical to the cooler on an F250 or F350.

The cooler on ANY 6.0L is the best cooler you can buy. Nobody makes a better one.

·
778 Posts
thanks again Mark. It was recommended to me that I have the interal wiring harness replaced. what is your opinion on that.

·
169 Posts
It could be either the harness or the sensor. I've heard of a lot more sensors failing than harnesses. With an ohm meter you could determine which one is bad.

·
775 Posts
Mark_K said:
The trans cooler on an F450 and F550 is identical to the cooler on an F250 or F350.

The cooler on ANY 6.0L is the best cooler you can buy. Nobody makes a better one.
I was told that the ex trans cooler below the radiator and behind the splash pan on my tow boss f350 was bigger then the normal F series and as big as the f450 and f550, I guess I should have known.:popcorn:

·
169 Posts
It *IS* as big as an F450/F550. It's just not any bigger than any other truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts