The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have question on the 24 valve. Ok when I turn the key to the on position the pump runs for 4 to 5 seconds my buddies 24v pump only runs for a split second i thought that his trucks pump was going out but he has great pressure when he turns the key on. I think that my injection pump seals may be messed up and it leaks pressure when i turn the key off and thats the reason that it pumps so long when i turn the key on, it has done this since i got the truck at 65,000 miles, i replaced the transfer pump as soon as i got the truck because it almost died on me one day while driving and i then figured out the pump wasn't even working. Sorry about the long message.

B

·
0 Posts
How does your truck run once started? Sometimes little things are best left alone. Although if you are having issues like lack of power or running rough then I would say you are losing prime and sucking air somehwere or you did damage to your IP when it was run without a working LP.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck runs good once it is started, it doesn't run rough or anything no missing, i don't think that it is running right though because i have quite a few mods and i still got be by a 6.0 with just a programmer. List of mods below. I don't know if the IP was damaged when i got the truck or how long the LP was out to start with, don't think that guy knew anything about his truck and just ran it dry.:nunu:

Edge atttude with juice, four in straight exhaust, k&n high flow filter, banks turbo hot housing, banks intake pleum, bully dog big fuel kit 22psi at injection pump. Other things (peak boost 31 psi, quarter mile time 17.8) don't think i have the fuel.

B

·
0 Posts
From that 1/4 time, I would say you don't have the fuel. Do you have an auto tranny or manual? If auto, then that could be the reason for the time because it is slipping.

How much smoke do you have? Has your truck ever thrown any codes? Have you ever had the truck checked for codes?

Is most of your problems with starting it?

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the edge comp on 5x5 it smokes a little bit but then its all gone after a split second, its a manual trans and i have very little clutch slip, no codes and no problems on start up. since i put that bully dog big fuel kit on i have had some problems starting but i think that is because i have a tiny fuel leak on a hose feeding my injection pump because the hose is dry roted. But the trucks original pump has always run for 4 to 5 seconds so i know it's not from that leak. Do you think it's the injection pump?

B

·
0 Posts
You have some problems somewhere if you can not hardly get any smoke with a comp box. Does it feel like it is low on power? Sure sounds like a weak pump to me.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i thought that too because when i had the banks ottomind on there it never smoked even on hard acceleration, so i went to the edge comp and i've talked to a lot of people that have the edges and they same their stuff is way better than mine. Their stuff seems to smoke way more than mine but they also don't have as much air as I do and i thought that was the reason. I mean don't get me wrong the comp box smokes but not very bad like i said 5x5 has smoke at first but then it's just gone like that. It is possible to have a weak pump right?

·
1,055 Posts
Banks stuff does not smoke, that is how it is designed. Mine smoke with the comp turned up, but once the turbo spools it is gone. If you don't have bigger injectors it is not going to smoke too bad. Do you have a problem starting it once the truck is warm? If so it could indicate a bad pump. But if you don't have any codes I wouldn't worry too much right now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is your truck an auto or manual? Do you have a boost elbow on it?

it sounds like you dont have enough fuel. a nice set of injectors should be on you list. lets us know on the auto manual thing too.

·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually i do have trouble starting it once it is warm, it has to crank for a while sometimes i have to crank it twice, but usually it fires right up, and it is a manual but i don't know how that makes a difference? Could you please explain or are you talking about the quarter mile time.....maybe. Still seems really slow. Could you please explain what a boost elbow is?

One more question how many horse power are you making with that setup Todd, im thinking about building a toy kinda like that.

B

·
0 Posts
If you are having any problems with it starting while it's warm, then you are having issues with your IP.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hard start in conjunction with long transfer pump priming; I'd say a leakdown problem. Check all your fuel line connections put a wrench on the fuel lines at the head if you've ever had them open. A worst case you could have a pincher or nicked crossover tube (again if you've had them open) that is leaking down into the return port in the head.

Is this truely a hard start problem or is it just my truck takes longer to start than a buddy's type of thing?

The auto was in reference to the wastgate in regards to a J hook or boost elbow being needed and does tie into 1/4 mile times too.

A boost elbow will hide boost from the wastegate and allow the turbo to carry more boost if you dont have the fuel (injectors) to drive it or should i say, overdrive it. A set of injectors would gain you boost too and cooler none the less up to the point you are overdriving the turbo. Anything over 36-38PSI on a stock 35 is a futile effort.

·
411 Posts
Fix that line that is dry rotted and then see what happens. I had a small leak in my FP gauge hose and it mine would not hardly start at all once it sat for a few minutes or when it was hot. Like some of the others have said too with stock sticks it will not smoke much either.

DB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts