The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all this is my first time posting here, i hope i did it right:shrug:
I am asking this question for my friend.
Are there any options for a '97 PSD with an auto? I was thinkin maybe a Transcommand but not sure?
What all does a tranny chip do, and what does it help?

·
Registered
790 Posts
well for the cost of a trans command or i believe bullydog also makes something similar, he could have a custom chip that gives him extra power and makes the tranny do exactly what he wants (tc lockup, shift pts, line pressure).

Luke

·
833 Posts
In all honest you're better off installing a good shiftkit to help the tranny rather than doing it electronically. I'd suggest a trangso tugger kit or a factory tech valve body to help the tranny shift better.

A good programmer can do the same thing with the engine chip that you're going to accomplish w/ a trans module. The ECM controls both engine & trans.

·
0 Posts
Yep...gotta agree with Brandon here. Your tranny will appreciate you much better if you mechanically up the pressure. The factory tech valve body is a great addition. Check with Jeremy at Long Island Performance Diesel. He can get them.

Upping the line pressure via software is really hard on the stock pump and shortens the life.

And welcome to the Garage. Enjoy your stay.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Dieselpwrdredneck said:
Hello all this is my first time posting here, i hope i did it right:shrug:
I am asking this question for my friend.
Are there any options for a '97 PSD with an auto? I was thinkin maybe a Transcommand but not sure?
Welcome!

Unless your friend has some cash stashed away for a new trans, I would NOT screw with the line pressure.

No matter how you increase it, the affect on the pump is exactly the same, as well as all the other components that will be affected.

The ONLY time you should mess with LP is thru the PCM, and the ONLY folks on this earth qualified to make the required changes in the PCM are either employed by, or distributors for "SCT" (Superchips Custom Tuning).

The main guy at SCT is a former Ford Transmission engineer, and HE KNOWS HIS STUFF.

Those other chip/tuners and aftermarket shift kit sellers are WAY out in left field on what is truely good for your trans.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
SCT does do a good job in that department. However there can be benefits to shift kits when done properly so that extra supply lubrication can be provided. Its more about the flow than the pressure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
John_G said:
Welcome!

the ONLY folks on this earth qualified to make the required changes in the PCM are either employed by, or distributors for "SCT" (Superchips Custom Tuning).

The main guy at SCT is a former Ford Transmission engineer, and HE KNOWS HIS STUFF.

Those other chip/tuners and aftermarket shift kit sellers are WAY out in left field on what is truely good for your trans.
Broad statement without basis, and untrue to say the least

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
However there can be benefits to shift kits when done properly so that extra supply lubrication can be provided. Its more about the flow than the pressure.
That is absolutely 100% true. Unfortunately, the "shift kit" sellers have no clue about the relationship between LP and cooler/lube flow (or they simply do not care). When you raise the LP, you REDUCE cooler flow and gearset lube. It is that simple.

Broad statement without basis, and untrue to say the least
in reply to: "the ONLY folks on this earth qualified to make the required changes in the PCM are either employed by, or distributors for "SCT" (Superchips Custom Tuning).

Those other chip/tuners and aftermarket shift kit sellers are WAY out in left field on what is truely good for your trans."

You either understand (at an engineering level) how the particular AT works, or you don't, and(non-SCT folks) don't. So next time you suggest that someone OTHER than JW (at SCT), who is selling a product for a Ford electronic A/T, has a decent product ask the sales staff how many former FORD TRANSMISSION engineers they have employed. The answer will be "zero".

So your claim of "without basis, and untrue" would hardly apply.

·
Registered
251 Posts
LOL Ever heard of BTS?:poke:

Me thinks he might have an idea about how AT's in the powerstroke operates, and what makes them live and what makes them die.

You go ahead and stay in your make believe world that only the people who use the SCT tuning are the only ones who know whats going on.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
BTS?

How many ASE Powertrain engineers do they have?

How many former FORD trans engineers do they employ?

How much R&D budget do they have?

How many vehicles to they test their products in (100 plus sensor input real-time dyno testing) before releasing it?

So you are telling us that a company other then FORD knows more about the AODE/4R100 and how to make it last longer and handle more power than FORD and their engineers do?

I can tell you that unless they have the documentation on all the R&D testing and tear-downs of the warrenty return units (the Ford is NOT about to give up) and have recently aquired a real Transmission engineer or two from Ford, the likelyhood of your claim is slim.

You see, they (BTS) do not know WHY it was designed (or the PCM was programmed) the way it was because they did not engineer it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
John_G said:
BTS?

How many ASE Powertrain engineers do they have?

How many former FORD trans engineers do they employ?

How much R&D budget do they have?

How many vehicles to they test their products in (100 plus sensor input real-time dyno testing) before releasing it?

So you are telling us that a company other then FORD knows more about the AODE/4R100 and how to make it last longer and handle more power than FORD and their engineers do?

I can tell you that unless they have the documentation on all the R&D testing and tear-downs of the warrenty return units (the Ford is NOT about to give up) and have recently aquired a real Transmission engineer or two from Ford, the likelyhood of your claim is slim.

You see, they (BTS) do not know WHY it was designed (or the PCM was programmed) the way it was because they did not engineer it.
Let me guess, your an engineer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
enlighten us oh wise one on how to make a stock tranny with a crappy sct burn hold 1000 ft/lbs or torque or better? I would personally like to know.......

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Instead of taking a confrontational attitude towards each other, why don't we keep the discussion open-minded and share information? Maybe we can all learn something.

Remember where most of us came from and what it was like. Let's not go back to that, again.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
richter said:
enlighten us oh wise one on how to make a stock tranny with a crappy sct burn hold 1000 ft/lbs or torque or better? I would personally like to know.......
LOL If only you could i could save alot of money :HappyMugs

·
0 Posts
Yep...I agree. The "holier than thou" attitudes have to come to an end. We are all here to exchange ideas, learn from each other, and make our trucks run better. You can present opinions without flaming others...really.

And as for the Factory Tech valvebody...Gregg Evans was a Ford engineer who worked on the 4r100 for numerous years. Finally decided that the pay was better in the private sector and started his own business, Factory Tech Transmissions. If you wish to read about them and his accumulator...check out this page. He does know what he's doing. I have a Monsterbox...so I do have a valid point of view.

As for BTS...even though I don't have one of his transmissions, I would trust one without hesitation. There are enough of them out there, with most being abused more than what a transmission should go through.

Back on topic. Present opinions without flaming.

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dieselpwrdredneck said:
Welcome dpr, don't let a narrow viewpoint distract you from some good info. The transgo tugger is a good kit, some of the better trans builders use it. The transcommand raises line pressure, but a custom 4-pos. chip can adjust line pressure, shift points, and converter lockup-as well as give you some good power. Most(all) the real hp is made with a custom chip, not a tuner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did not mean to come off with an attitude, But this guy starts spoutin' off about anything other than stock is wrong etc. etc. A stock unit in a stock truck is fine, turn up the wick and stock is no longer gonna get it done. So what is a stock c4 rated at for power? 250 or so? stick that in my stang and I would need sombody to tow it back to the pits after the first pass. Raising line pressure with a chip only is a bad idea, there are ways to do it and not reduce the cooler and lube flow. High energy frictions and steels have their place also as does better converter than ford offers. Gotta remember ford made it but that does not mean it will prevail in a certain application. I am no engineer, have no degrees in hydraulics, nor am an instructor or have "a book", but I do a pretty good job at what I do. I get all my information of what sucks in a ford tranny after tearing into them for the last ten or so years. We'll get this back on track.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I think we can all agree that a cooler and better lubricated AT is a good thing, right?

Raising LP "accross the board" places additional strain on the pump, and reduces cooler flow and gearset lube flow.

Consider the case of two garden hoses attached with a "Y" at the house supply (front pump). Each side of the "Y" runs to a sprinkler head, #1- to the valve body, and #2 - the cooler circuit. There is an EPC solenoid on one "Y" leading to a sprinkler (#2). As you increase EPC pressure (by closing the vent - that's how it works, it creates pressure by causing a restriction to flow) the pressure in the #1 circuit (no restriction) goes UP, flow to sprinkler #1 increases as does the pressure to it. Well you restricted the #2 circuit to create that pressure in #1. In doing so (adding restriction) you reduced flow and pressure in the cooler and lubrication circuits (#2 circuit).

Another way to look at this is if you had two 20' garden hoses off a "Y" at the valve on the house, we can all agree that the flow to each would be about the same when running "open", yes?

Now stand on one, and leave the other open. The open hose has more pressure and volume (water comes out faster and with more force than before). The hose you are standing on has less flow and less pressure (after your foot of course). Well this is your cooler and lubrication circuit.

So, the BEST way to make the transmission live is to adjust LP ONLY during shifting, and not leave it high at all times. This is the primary place where most tooners and rebulders go down the wrong path. It is simply because they do not know how to control EPC pressure with the PCM properly (only during shifting).

Consider the clutch pack. If it is not slipping AT ALL, is there any benefit to applying it with more force (added SS/EPC pressure)? No. In fact, too much SS/EPC pressure will, over time, cause the apply piston seals to fail prematurely. Remember, adding EPC/SS presure will reduce cooler flow and gearset lube. Once you have attained positive lock-up in the clutch with pressure, and added a small amount more for a safety factor, any additional pressure is wasted.

Also, it takes power to run the trans fluid pump. On many engines, if you "max out" the EPC pressure, you can nearly stall the engine at idle. That is a LOT of power to turn the pump! The more unnecessary pressure you use, the more your powre to the rear wheels, and fuel economy will suffer. Obviously, if you only increase LP during shifting, you minimalize these losses.

The 4R100 is rated for 1000 ft-lbs of Tq, that is how it got it's name. The 4R70W can handle 700 ft-lbs peak. The 5R110 can handle 1100 ft-lbs. That is just Ford's method of naming them. Granted those numbers are PEAK, and not something they can do continously.

Another thing that is often done is replacing the factory clutches with Kevlar units. Guess what, yes Kevlar wears better, and is far more forgiving of being slipped. BUT, they wear the steels and actually offer LESS friction than stock materials. Now, you have to ask yourself, do you really want all those small steel particles (that were ground off by the Kevlar clutches) floating around inside the trans? There are reasons the factory does not use Kevlar (aside from cost), those are some very important ones.

There are also programming issues that are outside of the transmission groups control. Things that are done for NVH, economy, shift "feel", EPA, and just programming errors introduced by other groups that have input to the PCM final programming codes. Very few "enthusiasts" would have their vehicles shift in the same way as the "average" driver. We typically are more concerned with durability than with smooth shifting for example. I for one, would prefer to feel every shift, to have them quick and firm. People like us are in the minority.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
That ones a killer, you see my jeep cherokee can take 1500 lbs of tq. Although just like the ford trannys it cant do it continuesly, only for about 2 seconds :roflmao: LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
the Tugger does allow betterl flow before the regulator spring, sorry, but it does. In fact all of the transgo kits have the special spring and seat to accomplish this, the older kits would sinply use the stiffer spring and drill a small hole in the casting. The only downfall is the added main pressure is a touch rougher on the pump, adds about 10 - 15 psi overall, nothing major. I will agree the kevlar is crap, never use it. The stock stuff is pretty good but in a high power rig you better have some better stuff, and its out there, along with the steels to go with it. I have never seen a 4r in stock form tolerate 1000 ft/lbs for very long, a hp built unit will laugh at it, that is until the other ford parts say no more. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts