The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a dumb question, but I'd rather ask a dumb question rather than screw something up.....

I have a 2003 Chevrolet 2 wheel drive crew cab with the 6.6 L and 5 speed Allison automatic.

I think I am understanding it that I have a spin on filter as well as a filter in the pan.....am I correct?

If indeed the spin on filter is a transmission filter, should I fill it with transmission fluid before installing the new one, similar to the idea of filling a fuel filter before installing it?

Sorry for the dumb questions....never had a truck with a spin on transmission filter.

·
182 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but I'd rather ask a dumb question rather than screw something up.....

I have a 2003 Chevrolet 2 wheel drive crew cab with the 6.6 L and 5 speed Allison automatic.

I think I am understanding it that I have a spin on filter as well as a filter in the pan.....am I correct?

If indeed the spin on filter is a transmission filter, should I fill it with transmission fluid before installing the new one, similar to the idea of filling a fuel filter before installing it?

Sorry for the dumb questions....never had a truck with a spin on transmission filter.
You can, but you don't have to. I would do it just to limit fluid loss from the change.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

Correct, you have 2 filters, 1 internal, 1 external. The external is a small spin on filter, similar to an oil filter. You only have to change the external filter as the internal is only meant to be changed when the tranmission is rebuilt.

You dont have to prefill the filter with ATF before installing it, but you can if you wish.

·
8 Posts
i have the 2002 allison 5 speed. how much trans fluid will it take when changing just the spin on filter and draining the fluid.

i know the manual probably gives the capacity of the entire system as if you were draining the entire system and replacing internal as well as external spin on filters.

do you just drain the pan and replace spin on external filter then add fluid. just like changing oil. or is this not correct?

thanks

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
You dont need to change the fluid in the entire transmission if you dont need to, if the fluid is still red and isnt turning brown or have metallic flakes in it, along with a burnt smell i would just change the allison spin on, and top up the trans with a good synthetic ATF

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/faq/index.jsp?CategoryID=11#98 here is a good amount of info on the Allison a1000

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDemand?ApplicationID=155&DownloadID=5&Preview=1 On page 6 it says standard refill is 10.6 quarts, and initial fill is 14.8 quarts

Hope that helps :thumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts