The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 2500HD Duramax -While pulling a trailer a couple of weeks ago i noticed the transmission did not want to down shift while going up a hill. I stopped a red light and when I took off it slammed from 1st to 2nd and then would not go past 2nd. I tried several times and it would only shift between first and second. I stopped and shut it off for about 30 minutes and when I started back it shifted properly. When I had the codes checked the genius for got the numbers, something in the 700's and 800's (2 codes) talking about a stuck solenoid. Does anyone know what code or solenoid this could be talking about.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Do you have a programmer on your truck?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it has a hypertech programmer - I believe it is a three stage, it has been on the truck for about 3 years.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Most likely you limped the transmission. Once it happens, it becomes easier each time. I would start saving for a rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the code had something about a stuck solenoid. when you say "limped" the transmission what does that mean?

·
2,710 Posts
you Fubar it ! it went into a broke down limp home mode. . .

Mike

·
3,939 Posts
Whats the trailer weight? Towing heavy with a programmer adds to the stress on the transmission. Its a progressive thing. Trans will go into "safe" mode, what we call "limp home" mode...hence you "limped" it. Means the TCM sensed excess slip somewhere and scaled power back so you wouldnt hurt the trans even worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trailer I tow is not that heavy around 10k it is a 36' fifth wheel. I hadn't been pushing it hard at all. It has been around 3 months and although I havent pulled anything other than wagons of hay and tobacco it hasn't acted up a bit.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Your best bet would be to go back and get the codes read again. They should be stored for IIRC 90 days. Then we could point you in a better direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts