The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just trying to find out what is an exceptable temp for the trans to get up to, or what is the hottest I can run it at without damaging it. I have the temp sensor mounted in the line going to the heat exchanger from the tc. Any help would be appreciated.:thanks: :usflag

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I guess me getting nervous about 210 is rediculous:damnit , I thought I heard that was a little hot, but if 400 is high, then I will stop freaking out about a little over 200. I just rebuilt mine also

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I actually don't know. What makes it worse is I work in a Trany shop that puts life time warrentys on Dodge Cummins tranys. And to put the icing on the cake, I've been driving around with a busted up trany cooler from a wreck. 210 does kind of sound high IMO, but I really don't know for sure.

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only gets that hot if I am sitting in traffic, when I had mine rebuilt, they put 2 new coolers on it, and stopped using my original one, so I took it off, I think what keeps my trans a little hot is the new coolers are sandwhiched inbetween the air to air and the radiator. If I am driveing down the highway, it stays right inbetween 150, and 180

·
560 Posts
270* is were ATF starts to break down...but I'm not sure about this new fangled ATF+3 and +4 since it is a low grade synthetic...

I ran a sensor in the pan...only got to 180*s once, and that was towing while in very heavy traffic (stop and go)...IIRC, it ran about 20*s warmer than ambient air temps cruising down the road...but again, this was taken from the pan...your readings should be higher than mine...

steved

·
1,055 Posts
Mine is around 150-180 pulling a big grade. 210 is gettting alittle warm.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
bcumminsmeck said:
It only gets that hot if I am sitting in traffic,

Make sure you stay out of park then, a stock Dodge V/B has NO COOLANT flow to the cooler in PARK.

How flippin' stupid is that?

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I am in traffic, I put it in neutral evey chance I get, never in park. I guess I should also mention that when I got it rebuilt, I got a shift kit put in, and the line pressure raised, not sure how much, but it was supposed to be raised. I am guessing that could also cause a little more heat

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
possibly, but also tighter clamping on the clutches, so most likely more spinning of the tc, which as far as I know is more heat. But I'm not a trans man, I am more into engines, so I'm not sure exactly, but a good thing to find out I guess:shrug:

·
4,827 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I honestly think if you raise line pressure you are looking at less heat. I'm gonna have to look into that before I say one or another because I can be wrong about these things too.

·
1,055 Posts
Higher line pressure, higher temp. More clamping pressure=more heat. My temps went up after I got a v/b.

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey cumminspower, quick question. Are their any cummins clubs in Utah, or around salt lake/Ogden area? I have been wondering, and would love to get into one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After the VB & TC install i am seeing 200 in traffic and about 220 under heavy throttle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts