The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently started hearing a ticking noise from the transmission. I have searched and read that some say it is normal. It has happened a couple of times in between 2 - 3 gears. And once while in park it was ticking away (I am pretty sure it was comming form the transmission). It's ALMOST like a grinding noise but more like a ticking noise.

Any one else experience this?

Thanks

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
i have a tick - i'm not sure if it's the same noise as you describe because it doesn't sound anything close to a grind.

mine gives a single and intermitent 'tick' at fairly irregular times. it definitely has something to do w/ the drivetrain as that's the only time it will do it; seems like when i'm stopped and then pull forward from a stop sign or stop light. it may do it a few times while negotiating a parking lot. w/ all the windows down, it seems like it's coming from the middle of the truck and not the rear end.

you know the 'tick' that you hear when you park a hot vehicle? that sharp 'tick, tick, tick' as the vehicle cools and exhaust components contract? this is like the tick that i have, but it's very intermitent, loud, and only happens when moving.

u-joint?

Reactions: darren32

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know the 'tick' that you hear when you park a hot vehicle? that sharp 'tick, tick, tick' as the vehicle cools and exhaust components contract?
u-joint?
Ya, 90% of the time that is exactly what it sounds like!
But I almost always have multiple ticks (me and the truck!).
Just like you say, when stopped then pul forward.

The one time it did do it in park though and kept doing it until I shut off and re started the truck.

Thanks for the input mudguppy

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
mine seems to do it worse and more often after every oil change... used to not bother me bad but now its getting constant all the time when running and pretty annoying... wish there was a tsb for it!

Reactions: darren32

·
Banned
713 Posts
The DEF/DPF system is very close to the transmission... maybe it running its course? getting hot? popping/ticking?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
well mine is all deleted with the tune & straight pipe so shouldnt be that either... hope they come out with a tsb its really getting annoying telling people why my 2011 60K truck makes a loud obnoxious noise...

·
Banned
713 Posts
well mine is all deleted with the tune & straight pipe so shouldnt be that either... hope they come out with a tsb its really getting annoying telling people why my 2011 60K truck makes a loud obnoxious noise...
How fast is it to all the other chipped diesels in the world? Any quarter mile times or 0-60 times? How does it pull? Power output numbers? Sounds like it is a haus! :rock

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
How fast is it to all the other chipped diesels in the world? Any quarter mile times or 0-60 times? How does it pull? Power output numbers? Sounds like it is a haus! :rock
LOL well ill be going to the 1/8th mile track this weekend most likely... it runs pretty good but im sure when eric gets his tuning released it will be faster but ill post up! i have some buddies with 05+ cummins, smarty, built tranny, lift pumps, etc and with just my tune and exhaust it will sit neck and neck or pull on em....

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Darren that truck is like what my grandma would drive LOL

Lookin good buddy, would the ticking noise be related to the torque converter in any way?

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Darren that truck is like what my grandma would drive LOL

Lookin good buddy, would the ticking noise be related to the torque converter in any way?
THANKS!
Ya it could be the same truck, I call it the "Baja couch" with the 2.5" kings.
:roflol:

Could be TC who knows! But my DPF / Urea is gone also so that one is ruled out.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Off topic posts removed.
Please take a moment and review the site rules I have quoted below. A full list of site rules can be found by clicking the Blue link in my sig. that says Rules. IF there are any other questions or comments please ask.

POSTING:
*Dont be an idiot, if you act like an azz in your posts, dont cry when you get banned.

*You may not post inflamatory comments, foul language, links to any lewd or offensive material, or any lewd or offensive material (including pictures) of any kind. It will not fly here, so dont try it.

*Keep posts on topic, derailing or hijacking is not allowed, if you cant add to the discussion, dont post. If you wonder whether or not people will care about what it is that you are about to post, chances are that they wont.

*Do not post aimlessly. Nobody will think you have any more credibility if you have 6million posts in the off topic forums.

*DO NOT BRAND-BASH, BASH A VENDOR, ATTACK A MEMBER OR A MEMBER'S FAMILY, CHEERLEAD FOR A VENDOR OR PRODUCT, OR THREATEN ANOTHER MEMBER..... None of that foolishness will fly here, and it will not be tolerated. Trolls are not welcome here.

*THREATS OF PHYSICAL VILOENCE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED! They will however, earn you some vacation time from the site.

*If you are a vendor, and you are not a Site Sponsor, do not solicit anywhere on the site. That right is reserved for those who sponsor the site.

*Know that posts and opinions of other members and Sponsors may not be factual. TheDieselGarage makes NO claims to the validity of any statement posted by members.

*Do not post copyrighted material. Plagarisim did not work in school, wont work here either.

* Do not post any file that will harm or contaminate any user's computer or TheDieselGarage's equipment. Threatening to post such material will be treated as if you actally did, and will be cause for removal.

* Names of vehicle and engine manufacturers are property of the trademark holders

*Try your best to post in the correct forum, If you don't, the staff will move your thread.

Hopefully you guys get a TSB to correct the issue since it seems as if it is pretty common.

Has anyone checked the trans fluid to make sure it is all full when this happens? Also are there any coolers near where the noise is coming from?

Reactions: mudguppy

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
when does the sound happen? when its cool, or warm or? Im still thinking it could be the converter, I know that triple discs can make a ticking noise....

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
i have a theory about the tick on my truck - since i only notice it when at low speed and after applying the brakes and shortly after taking off from a stop, i think i'm hearing my brake calipers sliding / moving in the caliper brackets, or something else brake related.

i think...

·
179 Posts
I noticed a tick today also, first time I heard it. I will look into it more and report back.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
i have a theory about the tick on my truck - since i only notice it when at low speed and after applying the brakes and shortly after taking off from a stop, i think i'm hearing my brake calipers sliding / moving in the caliper brackets, or something else brake related.

i think...
mine does it idling.... can only hear outside of truck or with the windows down

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
unless theyve recently come out with more im up to date since a few months ago...

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
ok, my 'tick' is the rear brakes, both upon actuation and shortly after realease when moving.

i don't know that i've noticed a 'tick' while stationary/idling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts