The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I bit the bullet and switched to Allison synthetic Transynd tranny fluid. Everyone says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, tranny runs cooler, lasts longer, longer drain interval. I was at 5K, time for a new spin-on, so I figgered what the heck???

Sure hope it was worth the $341 bucks! :(

·
3,754 Posts
Its the rigth thing to do. But why 341 bucks??????/ Transynd came in your 07 stock, and if you just changed the spin on you shouldnt have had to even add any. When I changed the one on my truck, It didnt move at all on the dop stick. Ps did you remember to put the little doughnut magnet on the new filter?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I'm not sure if TranSynd is truely a superior product or if Allision is simply making enough money on the per quart license fees to cover any possible warranty claims.

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
I just use dextron 6

·
Registered
505 Posts
your allison comes from the factory with transynd

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dmaxvaz said:
"your allison comes from the factory with transynd"
Mine didn't come with Transynd. It came with ordinary ATF oil. It had to be flushed of the mineral oil, then have Transynd and a new filter spun on. That's why it was costly. They charged me 2 hrs labor, $40 for a filter and like $200 for Transynd and tax.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Our 6 Speed Allison Transmisions take Dextron 6, Transynd is a Dextron 3 fluid which is in the 5 speeds.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HAULN SS said:
Our 6 Speed Allison Transmisions take Dextron 6, Transynd is a Dextron 3 fluid which is in the 5 speeds.
Are you saying Transynd doesn't belong in an Allison 6-speed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
now wouldn't that be something... 350 bux down the drain!!!! :pointlaugh :poke:

It supposed to be Dextron VI in there... coording to the manual

·
3,754 Posts
No NO no, your 6spd allison did come w/transynd, I don tknow who told you it didnt. Dex ron 6 is ok but usually not any cheaper then transynd. Transynd is not dex 3. Transynd has friction modifiers etc to help deal w/the clutches, of the allison. Transynd wont cause any warrenty problems, after all it is their fluid, made by castrol for them

·
Mafia member #105
2,262 Posts
All Gm trans come with Dex 6 they did away with dex 3

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ripmf666 said:
All Gm trans come with Dex 6 they did away with dex 3
So if I understand correctly, "dex-6" is the standard oil that comes with my transmission and transynd is an upgraded synthetic.

My service dept manager looked up my VIN # and handed me a printout. It says:

Transmission: 1000HS

Transmission using 100% Transynd or TES 295-approved fluid? "NO"

Severe Vocation? "NO"

So that tells me my trans was filled with dex-6 oil, not transynd.

Changing over to Transynd was my decision to make my trans last longer & run cooler. The fact that it cost $340 was told to me by my service manager in advance and I was prepared to spend it to make my trans run cooler & longer.

The ideal time to switch over was at 5K, when the spin on was to be replaced anyway. I like synthetics in my engine & trans, so why run dex-6 in my transmission any longer?

·
3,754 Posts
Transynd and dex 6 are both synthetic. Transynd is made for allison by castrol, not sure who makes dex 6, dbout gm is brewing it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thejdman04 said:
No NO no, your 6spd allison did come w/transynd, I don tknow who told you it didnt. Dex ron 6 is ok but usually not any cheaper then transynd. Transynd is not dex 3. Transynd has friction modifiers etc to help deal w/the clutches, of the allison. Transynd wont cause any warrenty problems, after all it is their fluid, made by castrol for them
Which one does it come with Dex-6 or transynd, as you're saying?
My printout from GM shows it didn't come with transynd.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DieselMonk said:
now wouldn't that be something... 350 bux down the drain!!!! :pointlaugh :poke:

It supposed to be Dextron VI in there... coording to the manual
After you read this, maybe you won't be laughing any more. I just extended my drain interval a lot longer than Dex-6:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=4

My truck didn't come with a TES-295 approved oil, Dex-6 is not TES-295 approved by allison. Now it has it in there, just like Allison recommends.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/service/autoapp/172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

F

·
0 Posts
At 5K the spin on gets changed :damnit I have not even checked the fluid in the past 30K miles LOL

·
773 Posts
what about amsoil's synth tranny oil?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wish we could get a straight answer, I called a dealership and they claimed Transynd was bad for our newer tranny's and that it would void the warranty. I don't know about you but Allison is not the company covering my truck with a warranty, GM is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
5k and you change the spin on? A little early IMO.... unless you really had some very extreme trailer towing or something going on...:popcorn:
Dunno about you guys, but as long my truck is under warranty, I put that stuff in GM recommends and listed / approved by GM.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.