The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRI-AXLE front axle is cammed over?

I have a tri axle toy hauler and have been towing down the interstate and twice now the front axle has cammed over when coming to a stop. This is a huge issue as the front and second axle tires rub when this happens and is tearing up the brand new tires. Both times it happened when coming to a stop off of the the interstate, I had never had this issue prior to this trip, last time it happened I disconnected the brakes to the front axle and it has not happened in the last 3-400 miles. It looks like it is caused by to much breaking, but it had never been an issue before? Seems like there should be an easy fix for it, would a limit strap be a simple solution?

·
215 Posts
Who makes the trailer?

Sounds like your u bolts are loose...

·
1,836 Posts
Brake adjustment or worn shoes

·
3,533 Posts
Sounds to me like the suspension for the front axle is not secure in the front. Look to see if the second axle has a tri link, and the back of the second axle the spring, has a Eye in the spring. If the front of the front axle has a slipper spring, the suspension is in backwards. The front of the springs for the front axle, must have an eye and be secure. The third axle, usually is secured as if it was a single. it could be reversed with the front axle as a single and the back two, connected with a tri link.
If you put it up on stands with the suspension hanging, the problem should be easier to find. Removing braking is not a good idea. Just a thought!

·
1,836 Posts
If the springs were not assembled correctly at the factory the problem would have started then.

When the shoe adjustment gets a little slack ( esp with a time controller ) the leverage changes and the brakes get applied harder with the same volts. This is on drum brakes, not disk. I haven't seen automatic adjusters but most have a peep slot or hole to check lining thickness and adjustment.

With short springs, large tires and 3 sets of double eye springs you may need bumpers on the rear eye to keep things in line. A bit of tire tread where the equalizer hits the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts