The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully done this? This is with a compound-twin set up in mind.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone doing it. I can't imagine the benefit of it though. You could just run a larger compound configuration and accomplish the same thing. But I guess if your goal would be for something cool to talk about or look it, then rock on.

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't heard of anyone doing it. I can't imagine the benefit of it though. You could just run a larger compound configuration and accomplish the same thing. But I guess if your goal would be for something cool to talk about or look it, then rock on.
Remember Callawy TT Corvettes? They did that (feeding each bank of their v-8's with a smaller, faster-spooling turbo) to improve throttle response, and it worked. Unlike diesels, the total air requirement isn't as broad, so two slightly smaller turbo's can give decent performance (better than a single larger) for a number of applications. For pure race vehicles, it may not be worthwhile, but for streetable setups, it made sense.

In diesels, the airflow demand is much greater, and if you use a compound set up, you get most of the what you need. However, a compound twin set up could be even better. Take the smaller turbo in a compound set up and think of it as "the" turbo as Calloway did. Split that for each bank of 4 (can also mean shorter piping runs) into two smaller turbos that light almost instantly, but compound them with a big turbo.

That was my thinking. I know it may not have been done on a 6.4, but I think it has been done elsewhere.

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
guess this is why we haven't seen updates on the truck in the 6.0 forums?
you still trying to workout your eng swap/upgrade?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts