The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up this 2006 F250 in dec. I went to pick up the toyhauler today and had the gen running will hooking everything up. after i was done, i shut down my gen and was getting to lock everything up for the drive home and noticed my trailer panel still showed "charging" so here's my question. Does my truck charge my trailer when it's hooked up and the truck is not running? no keys in ignition.

·
& amp; amp; amp; amp;
372 Posts
No it should only charge when running. I would guess your charge light is inop?

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Majorty of later model Ford truck with trailer towing package normally will have a trailer power relay located under the hood.

Sound like someone did change the conferation to hot all the time by add a jumper wire to bypass the relay.

Try the test with the trailer connector unplugged and use the test light you should not get power when the key is off poston unless you have aux switch on the dashboard wired up for that circuit.

Merci,Marc

·
3,754 Posts
No, it shouldnt charge with the truck off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If both batteries are wired together with no gizmo between them the battery that is charged the most charged will discharge into the weaker battery. Also when the truck is running the gizmo that tells the alternator that the truck battery does not need anymore charging it will cease to charge the system whether the RV battery needs charging or not. There is some wiring/gismo in the system that controls all of that. Usually your converter charges your RV batteries.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
That gimzo what we electrician call them battery isolator it is common found in RV and trailer towing package.

The battery isolator functions is to prevent discharge from one bank of batteries to other type of batteries and when the engine alternator charge up the batteries the pority { main } will go to the vehicle or main engine batteries set once it get charged up then it will go to secondary batteries bank that will be catch up a bit later.

Keep in your mind with battery isolator you must use the correct size get the same rating as vehicle or main engine alternator amp rating or larger.

Merci,Marc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts