The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My Brothers 04 quite running at a stop light. The truck barely restarted but had zero power & we were able to get to the side of the road (had to floor it & there was a ton of black smoke), the truck died again & will not restart... We towed it to my Dads shop & checked the fuel filters which are ok. When cranking the truck the oil pressure guage moves to normal. There are little puffs of black smoke coming from the tailpipe when cranking... I had a extra icp sensor that i installed & it didnt change anything...

Any thoughts would be awesome!!! The truck is an 04 with 160,000 miles...

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
94 Posts
My friends truck did the same thing a while back and it turned out to be low oil level. The gauge will read normal aslong as it has 6psi wich is very low. Check oil level,air filter,egr valve is probably full of gunk and check the air temp. sensor that is in the intake manifold.The sensor is most likely to be full of gunk also. If it is just clean it with brake cleaner and pu it back. The sensor sits on the drivers side right next to the air intake tube from the air filter..
Thats just some ideas,good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
bigtrxs said:
My friends truck did the same thing a while back and it turned out to be low oil level. The gauge will read normal aslong as it has 6psi wich is very low. Check oil level,air filter,egr valve is probably full of gunk and check the air temp. sensor that is in the intake manifold.The sensor is most likely to be full of gunk also. If it is just clean it with brake cleaner and pu it back. The sensor sits on the drivers side right next to the air intake tube from the air filter..
Thats just some ideas,good luck
It is NOT a good idea to clean any sensors w/ brake cleaner! Use an electrical contact cleaner instead. Brake cleaner can and will eat at the plastic on the sensor depending on what brand is used.

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it is the HPOP causing the issue... I pulled the upper Fuel filter out & drained the fuel, I reinstalled the cap without the filter & cracked the truck... Pulled the cap back off & the upper chamber is full of fuel... I then pulled the fuel pump fuse & cranked the truck over, there is no fuel draining out of the upper fuel filter bowl, which leads me to believe that the injectors are not firing... I did drain the filter bowl again & installed the pump & the bowl will fill but no empty... Does that diagnosis sound right, i have no professional mechanical training!!! Thanks...

·
Registered
415 Posts
thats what it sounds like is a high pressure issue. were is the icp sensor located? you either have a faulty pump or a leak . you have an extra icp you said so take that to the parts store and see if they have that kind of thread on a fiiting that you can install an air fitting into so you can add air to the system to make sure you dont have a leak. also you can remove the ipr to make sure its not damaged if it is i would replace pump and ipr also remove oil cooler to replace the screen under cooler as its last line of defense for the pump. another place to look is make sure no wires are chaffed around ficm.

·
313 Posts
This is the perfect thread for my truck tonight. I got out of work at 11p est. pulled out of the parking lot went down the to the light as I was coming to a stop my trucks rpms shot up and then a loud noise which I thought was the turbo whining and then the check engine light came on and the truck died. Being it's cold I thought well she needs to warm up. so I turned the key off let it sit for a minute. Turned the key back on waited for the glow plug light to go out and she fired right up for about 10 seconds then died again so I did the same thing turn key off then turn it back waited for the glow plug to go back out and noithing wouldnt even turn over. So I jumped out of the truck popped the hood and nothing. So I decided to look underneath and thats when I found the problem a puddle so I crawled under the truck put my finger in the puddle and !!!BAM!!! it was a puddle of oil so I call FORD roadside assistance and they proceed to tell me the truck isnt under warranty so I'll have to pay a 69.99 fee I said I dont care get the tow truck driver out there I'm stuck in the middle of an intersection hour and a half later and 2 inches of snow now he shows up. Needless to say I had him tow it to my local dealer and thats where she sits til 7am when the dealership opens. I'm pretty sure the engine is gone and hoping the woman I spoke to only sees the truck being out of warranty and not realizing the engine I believe is still under warranty til 100,00k. Going to pray to the diesel gods from now til 7 that the engine is still under warranty. theres only 55,270 miles on my 04 so with some luck it'll be covered.
marc21 said:
Hello, My Brothers 04 quite running at a stop light. The truck barely restarted but had zero power & we were able to get to the side of the road (had to floor it & there was a ton of black smoke), the truck died again & will not restart... We towed it to my Dads shop & checked the fuel filters which are ok. When cranking the truck the oil pressure guage moves to normal. There are little puffs of black smoke coming from the tailpipe when cranking... I had a extra icp sensor that i installed & it didnt change anything...

Any thoughts would be awesome!!! The truck is an 04 with 160,000 miles...

Thanks
Marc

·
Registered
415 Posts
when did you buy it? road side is supposed to be for the base warranty. hopefully for your sake she did mess up. were was the oil in the front hopefully. as if its in the front maybe just the front cover and the lpop crapped out.

·
313 Posts
Well I went down to the dealership this morning and the service rep there said the 3/36 bumper to bumper is over but the engine has a 5/100k warranty on it so far so good. He told me it will be at sometime next week before they can even look at the truck. So as of right now I have no transportation I asked for a loaner and he said he didn't have any cuz they are so backed up. From what I can see it looks like the oil was in the front of the engine. I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed and hopefully they won't give me a hard time. I bought the truck in May/June of 04
cb44473 said:
when did you buy it? road side is supposed to be for the base warranty. hopefully for your sake she did mess up. were was the oil in the front hopefully. as if its in the front maybe just the front cover and the lpop crapped out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
HPOP for sure. Check out the 6.0 bible on instuction to replace it.

·
1,660 Posts
man reading this just adds to my fears. does this happen on a lot of trucks? is it really common?

·
Registered
87 Posts
mattsn said:
man reading this just adds to my fears. does this happen on a lot of trucks? is it really common?

I myself have replaced 3 HPOP on my 06 f350.

:squish

·
1,660 Posts
thats crazy

·
313 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealer. He advised me they finally got the truck in late this afternoon. So far they said it looks like the HPOP(right on guys) but they are also looking the LPOP and a few other things he really didn't give specfic details cuz he didnt want to speculate cuz they are still looking at it. I will keep yall updated when he calls to give me the details.

·
313 Posts
UPDATE: I stopped by the dealer today to see how the truck was coming along they advised me they are going to have it awhile due to when the HPOP blew it also destoryed the camshaft so they will be ripping the motor out and replacing that as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts