The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I went to make a trip to the store this morning. Got about a mile away from the house and the truck dies at the first stop light. Started it back up, put it in gear and it died again. Then no start at all. I cranked it again and found that the tac wasn't moving. CPS shot craps on me. Called a good buddy (Chris Webster) and asked if he could hook a brother up, literally. Callled Sunset Ford got the new CPS and trcuk runs fine. Man Ford is real proud of that dam sensor.

Oh, well got 57,000+miles out of the first one. Hey, quick question. If the CPS was going bad would it affect the fuel milage. I only ask cause the last two tanks I've put in it the milage was bad, I mean real bad. Like under 10 mpg runn'n empty.

Thanks,
Will-:nunu:

·
0 Posts
I've never heard of a cps affecting mileage...but I suppose its not entirely out of the question.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The CPS in many cases will go out w/o warning. No impact on fuel mileage as far as I have seen. We sell a few of these @ a really good price, and I would always keep a spare handy. I keep at least 2 in my truck, for those times I need to help a brither out!

·
833 Posts
I've seen a couple people report a couple MPG difference with a new CPS vs old. but it's highly unlikely that's what's causing you to be that low.

·
504 Posts
It makes sense that it would lower the mpg, the engine isn't running nearly as efficiently as it should.

·
Registered
60 Posts
no offense but I find this interesting. None of you really believe or have seen the cps affect mileage but doesn't it make sense that a part that basically controls the timing of your injectors could affect your mileage. I've had 2 sensors go out completely without warning. I've had two others slowing go out over a period of a couple of weeks. During the two weeks my truck would run rough for a while and then level out clean. I would have problems starting a couple of times and then it would kick off. I would also loose power at times, just enough to notice but not enough to pull over. All of these problems can and do affect fuel consumption so doesn't it stand to reason that the CPS going bad "could" affect mileage.

Just my two cents but I suggest you monitor the next couple of tanks and make the decision yourself on whether it affected your mileage.

·
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too have to believe that the CPS on its last leg had something to do with the MPG I was getting. Since I put the new one in the fuel gauge has been less active but I will run a couple of tanks before I make a determination for myself.

Thanks for the input folks,
Will-

·
204 Posts
Will it could have been the CPS, but then again it could be the new lift, your hoisting the sail higher. I have found that a stiff wind will bring fuel milage down more than towing or steep grades. This was when I came form California to here.

·
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only thing there is that this started before mod day. So I know its not the major problem.

Will-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts