The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit and repost. (Double Edit: John please remove this if anyone gets sand in their vagina from it) This was a reply to a thread that has gone semi-awry. I went to post it and Windows shut down; first time on a month old $2500 laptop. Rebooted and it saved only this, of all the open windows that were up. Message? Address thread topic and start new thread with these expoundments. Again, I’ve come to recognize this as a God thing, not computer gremlins. Also, I struggle when thinking about posting this but have resigned to the fact that I need to. One might automatically take offence instead of reflecting and learning from it. I used to struggle with that but no longer do, hence I continue to grow.

This morning’s reflections: This site used to have some very intellectual elucidations and insights from some bad azz peeps, sharing R&D and custom builds, failure analysis on freaky weirdness etc. Some of this still occurs and I see the guys pop in and out (you KNOW who you are ;) ), mostly without posting. This is also occurring at the other two (use to be) big class 8 sites. This is not to say that threads on filter wrenches (good stuff yo) and other things aren’t necessary and very cool. They are, for everyone. It’s just…

The trend or paradigm shift seems to have gone to an online service manual. I understand that it's rather handy to log on to All Data Pro, ask it questions directly related and pertinent to the particular malady at hand, then even puke all over it if it answers in a perceived fashion not to one's liking, but there does come a time when>
A) People must spend some time and/ or money and acquire base knowledge and fundamental principles relative to their query. (see: Google, or the like)
B) Realize that no amount or quality of on-line failure analysis will benefit in a certain situation. Help us learn by learning, then posting relatives and pertinents.
C) Do as we do when WE (replyers) need to. > Read back thru to the beginning and see if someone said this sht right off the bat and it still holds true.

Not complaining, just saying, if we can get this thing back to the day when guys like 9A, tribal, Haney, fastshovel, Smokin, SL, pullin, RC, oldnotslow, Phantom, loghualer, Les, merlin, hi speed, all the KWT/ KTW's and H800, fest, doc, Kiwi, burke, pogue, and a host of others want to post experience and insights, this can be what it once was. The coolest place to come help guys fix and mod tuff stuff, not learn base diagnostics and maintenance on their lawnmower (see: Dr. Spock’s Just Ask dot com with a couple end wrenches and a service manual… @ 19.95 per minute). The place where guys come from truckereport and a couple others because this is where the answers are. (More) tuff stuff, not less. Stuff that makes us all grow and benefit from helping others. Stuff that doesn’t make us drop 10 IQ points for replying to it. Again, this does not include filter wrenches and most the stuff on here. I learned from that.

This is not to say that these query’s aren’t welcome. We are here to help. But one can only post a certain amount of Motors Manual base info without feeling… stupid and privilege abused. Of course it may just be me, but I do see you guy’s (again, you know who you are) still lurking, reading, and not posting. And I struggle to fill my daily knowledge/ growth requirements without you.

We are here to help and again I’m not complaining. Just saying. What this once was doesn't exist anywhere on the net anymore. And it should.

And before I post this as I’m puking all over this anyway I'm adding something in lieu of another couple issues in paradigm shifts, but won’t address at this time. This is in regard to:
A) Expecting a result or reply, not asking for one and thanking the person for doing so. This happens more frequently now on all the sites I post to than evr before. More on Harley's than here, but here as well.
B) OVERGoogling (misapplication). This happens here some but happened at work just this morning, again, and all the time. In this particular instance but apply at will if relevant. We answer questions based on the info we have. Then we apply correct diagnostic procedure and more testing, or the fix. If something is narrowed down to a couple different things and you happen to read a 3 year old thread that said something close, then they swapped ECM’s and it’s fixed, don’t just go buy an ECM. Finish the tests and see if you need one. This is for your benefit not ours.

Thank you for your time, contributions and consideration and enjoy your day. As my oatmeal just exploded on the stove we now return to the regularly scheduled program.
Tony Welch
Welch Diesel Repair
Welch Performance Diesel
Savage Cycleworx

·
2,555 Posts
I have to agree with what you said, since the other truck forum outlawed modification discussion, the flavour definitely changed here, JohnP3 left mostly because of insults and jack***** comments, he like many others gave freely of his vast experience and never asked for anything, others want to ask how to do something and then tell us we don't know what we are doing.........
:bdh

Reactions: techmech and AaronF

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to agree with what you said, since the other truck forum outlawed modification discussion, the flavour definitely changed here, JohnP3 left mostly because of insults and jack***** comments, he like many others gave freely of his vast experience and never asked for anything, others want to ask how to do something and then tell us we don't know what we are doing.........
:bdh
Copy that Long but I'm ssoooo glad that YOU're still here. Hang tuff brother

·
2,824 Posts
Did like reading some of Johns stuff, I think he looked a little to far into the actual political side of some post, one that I remember was he claimed the site was getting too republican for him and he needed a break.

379, your comment makes me think of one of the threads about a 444 and just some of the ask a question but argue when the answer doesn't fit what you have heard elsewhere, still not sure what to think on that one.

Reactions: Les2

·
2,555 Posts
Did like reading some of Johns stuff, I think he looked a little to far into the actual political side of some post, one that I remember was he claimed the site was getting too republican for him and he needed a break.

379, your comment makes me think of one of the threads about a 444 and just some of the ask a question but argue when the answer doesn't fit what you have heard elsewhere, still not sure what to think on that one.
That would be among them.

JohnP made some of the best, easy to follow trouble shooting post, unlike my dyslexic messes.

·
20 Posts
I will try to add some persepective here.
1 It is hard to get excited about a new 500 hp paccar cuppoled to a ultra shift :(
2 when has the last new earth shattering preformance part came out?
3 epa has ruined trucking unless running a single powered drive axle with 2-64 gears in direct drive is cool I think NOT
most everything has been done before, even though I do enjoy reading about new gliders builds.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try to add some persepective here.
1 It is hard to get excited about a new 500 hp paccar cuppoled to a ultra shift :(
2 when has the last new earth shattering preformance part came out?
3 epa has ruined trucking unless running a single powered drive axle with 2-64 gears in direct drive is cool I think NOT
most everything has been done before, even though I do enjoy reading about new gliders builds.
I understand this perspective and your particular dilemma. The overlying premise was courtesy in posting, thinking about what others think and feel when helping, and trying to learn what one can by reading a bit, then asking things relative to the problem but not addressed in the first ten strings on a Google tag. Then of course actually doing what was suggested to fix it and not skipping steps out of convenience, doing other stuff cause it was in a Google tag, or not doing it at all and saying it was done. Then *****ing because it's still broken.

As for your industry grievances. The first EPA standards to be instituted against "grandfathered" drivetrains won't be til mid 2018, then it's progressive, hence one can still build anything they want if they follow a few simple rules. And if one starts with something with a good base that's already been "whatevered", they can do most anything they want, just because someone has already done it. Lets say everyone has a Cat 850. That's cool (actually not, but whatevr), and plenty for most. But with work and R&D they're putting down 2600 X 6100 on the dyno and there are some actual driveables doing well over 1500 X 6000 and living. Overkill? Yup, for some. Still fun? Yup, for some. Has it been done already so now it's boring? Possibly for some bu I don't personally know of anyone in this category.

And now we're doing mechanicals converted to electronics, electronic converted mechanicals etc, in every color of engine. Next month I'm starting a build on a unit injector 1693TA for a guy. Why? He wants one for a '68 Pete, it's his truck, and it's never been done before. And of course... why not (ynot)?

·
156 Posts
I'm in for pictures!!! ^

I don't contribute much to this site as I have very little knowledge on the older mechanical engines. I would rather stay quiet then lead someone down the wrong path. I do enjoy reading threads of you guys working on them and picking up what knowledge you guys are willing to part with.

I joined thetruckersreport as it dealt with the newer engines which I am very familiar with working on. Then they deleted the emission and performance mods and that forum got boring. It seems most people would rather ask a question then pop the hood and take a look or, heaven forbid, pull a wrench first.

I suppose its the way trucks are going now with all the electronics. It doesn't promote people fixing them in their backyard and souping them up. Quite a few drivers nowadays couldn't be bothered to leave the seat. I have had to do road calls just to pinch off brake lines a cage a brake pot. That is just sad.

·
323 Posts
^^ agreed, the knowledge found here is an extremely valuable resource. Unfortunately, most people nowadays are just drivers and don't own wrenches.
Called out to cage a brake pot? Seriously?
We've changed our own water pumps in gas station parking lots.
Sorry to digress, but it's not just this forum, it's everywhere.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly I believe for the most part, these same guys are still doing these same things. They carry tools. They fix what they can. Now there are more trucks, and easier to drive/ harder to maintain trucks, so the actual percentage of the driver/ mechanic ratio has fallen, but it's still the same guys doing it. Unless they got old and died. Then their kids sell the trucks and tools at 5% and buy flatscreens, Nintendo's and surround sound systems.

·
308 Posts
I'm in for pictures!!! ^

I don't contribute much to this site as I have very little knowledge on the older mechanical engines. I would rather stay quiet then lead someone down the wrong path. I do enjoy reading threads of you guys working on them and picking up what knowledge you guys are willing to part with.

I joined thetruckersreport as it dealt with the newer engines which I am very familiar with working on. Then they deleted the emission and performance mods and that forum got boring. It seems most people would rather ask a question then pop the hood and take a look or, heaven forbid, pull a wrench first.

I suppose its the way trucks are going now with all the electronics. It doesn't promote people fixing them in their backyard and souping them up. Quite a few drivers nowadays couldn't be bothered to leave the seat. I have had to do road calls just to pinch off brake lines a cage a brake pot. That is just sad.
I'm somewhere in between this description. Not much experience with big trucks til the past couple years when I bought my own actually but grew up wrenching on the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s. A lot of the basic principles carry over. I try to contribute what I can when I can by helping those less knowledgeable with what I've mostly learned here which fails in comparison to many of you.
I try to be as self sufficient as I can when it comes to my truck and I can really appreciate this place and the people that share the vast knowledge they possess.
Sometimes I'm guilty of wanting to skip steps to just get it fixed but mostly because I'm on the road at the time without the resources I have when I'm home or the time necessary as I actually enjoy the diagnostics part of it. Tis why I just bought ET and the necessary hardware just for my 1 truck operation. I gotta know what makes it tick. I taught myself computers much the same way good enough to actually be employed as a techie years ago for a brief time.
As for the other place, it rubbed me wrong one too many times and when a few of the guys here were banned for sharing their knowledge with people that wanted to learn, I told them to delete my account. They said they wouldn't do that and I spoke my mind enough to be banned myself.

·
2,824 Posts
The other forum is a joke, you can tell any one with a mechanical how to disable an AFC which is a emission control and it is fine, talk about doing an EGR delete and it's the end of the world let alone talking about punching hole in the DPF media.

I know a few that are doing some off the wall stuff, C18 road truck engine with aftermarket liners and going fire ringed is pretty cool stuff. Then there are a few like me that won't let the 855 die, one just put a full tubular header on and matching 4.1"'inducer HX82. They just don't want to talk about it openly on the forums.

·
308 Posts
It is a joke. But it's also a lot more oriented towards Trucking as an industry . Which isn't a bad thing necessarily. But it's also all about political correctness, right or wrong. For many, that IS a bad thing. Including me.
I contributed far more than i ever got in return there. Yet I was sacrificed in the name of political correctness when I stood up for a company's right to terminate a tranny for coming out and dressing like a freak on the job because the company's clients said no way do we want that sideshow delivering our product.
Much like this same tranny made a big commotion on the forums. Then was never heard from again. Yet the mods there admonished contributing members for speaking our beliefs.
That's when I finally said delete my account. When they wouldn't I told them to piss up a rope among other niceties and they banned me.
This wasn't too long after Kurt was banned if I remember. And for what?

·
98 Posts
I joined this site back when I had my 4MG then I got my 8PN, I could not believe the info you guys gave out. Tony, you worked on my 8PN, was very happy with it.

Sold those and bought a 6NZ then drifted over to TR seemed to be more electronic info over there. As you all know you can go to sleep reading those threads since they banned all interesting talk.

Was going to do a bunch of mods to the 6NZ, but you know, I just got old and tired. Glad i'm at the end of my trucking life.

In a few more years they will have mandated speed limiters, glad I won't have to drive in that mess.

Any way thanks to all of you that freely gave info. It was a gold mine for those of us with mechanical ability.

·
308 Posts
That would be among them.

JohnP made some of the best, easy to follow trouble shooting post, unlike my dyslexic messes.
You're too hard on yourself. Haha! You get your point across.
I have been trying to make a more conscious effort to thank the people that not necessarily help by providing the right answer/solution to my questions so to speak, but take the time to answer period. Right, wrong, or otherwise. Sometimes just throwing ideas out there is all it takes for something to click that I may have overlooked.

·
16 Posts
I usually just pm tony when I need help, so I am one those that come around only when I have questions. I rarely post, so I apologize to everyone who shares their knowledge and experience. I would also like to thank all the members who have helped. :)

·
2,555 Posts
The other forum is a joke, you can tell any one with a mechanical how to disable an AFC which is a emission control and it is fine, talk about doing an EGR delete and it's the end of the world let alone talking about punching hole in the DPF media.

I know a few that are doing some off the wall stuff, C18 road truck engine with aftermarket liners and going fire ringed is pretty cool stuff. Then there are a few like me that won't let the 855 die, one just put a full tubular header on and matching 4.1"'inducer HX82. They just don't want to talk about it openly on the forums.
yeah that is kind of humorous, isn't it , you can talk about mechanicals, there, but if Kurt or Rawes said how you could keep the oil clean in your electronic motor clean they got banned. And anyone as who knows knows, the oil is the real indicator of how much pollution an engine makes, not what some desk jockey thinks. One guy has seen black smoke from my C "425" he happens to be the only other guy who gets the privilege of sitting in the seat. (well maybe a lot of other people saw the cloud as it dispersed, but he saw the soft spot in the road that caused it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts