The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Superduty 6.0 powerstroke was blowing out coolant when I was towing in the mountains last year. I finally broke down and took it in a couple of weeks ago to get upgraded. They're doing a valve job, new ARP head studs, upgraded oil cooler, EGR Cooler delete, new fuel rail O-rings, checking the injectors, , adding a tuner, upgrading the oil lines to and from the turbo and a few more things I can't remember. The heads took longer than expected, so I won't get a chance to drive it until late next week at the earliest. The whole thing is going to cost 6800 plus tax, barring any issues with the injectors and heads.

·
3,051 Posts
Look forward to your 1st road test review when it's all done. Hope they are using an SCT tuner with custom tuning for the tuner.

Harry

Reactions: mabynack

·
70 Posts
Yeah I bet you can't wait to get it back and drive it after all that work, it will feel like a new truck.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not a very happy camper right now. My truck was supposed to take a week to get upgraded. It has now been three weeks. The shop hasn't called me to give me a status update. I've had to initiate the calls. I called them on the day they said it would be ready and they hadn't picked up the heads from the machine shop yet - but they were on their way down as soon as they hung up the phone. I called a week later - they still hadn't picked up the heads from the machine shop - but they were on their way down as soon as they hung up the phone.

It was supposed to be done this afternoon, but they dodged my calls. After my third call they finally admitted that they were just starting to work on it. They made me pay $4000 up front to cover the cost of the parts. That should have been a warning.

·
70 Posts
Oh man that sucks! That is a kick in the head. Did you know anything about this shop before hand? Any word of mouth? I hope they pull through, but I'd be leary if they would do a through job or not.
Keep us updated.

·
1,324 Posts
Hope it turns out good. I had a bad experience too and started doing my own work. Complained to the shop owner and haven't been back. I'd never do more than 50 % on the parts up front they don't have any skin in the game if they get that much up front.

·
3,051 Posts
Last thing you want though is a hacked workmanship rush job, these engines are complex and a little mistake can lead to big problems.

I pray that these guys have good 6.0L engine experience.

Try to turn this into as much of a positive outcome as best possible, be firm but sane as possible.

It may be that they were backed up with too much unforseen variables which can happen in this business. But that is still "No Excuse" to be disrespected by ignoring your calls and being lied to, especially since they have taken money up front.

Might want to stop by the shop and check on things, have them explain all that they are doing and where they are now and when can I expect this to be done at this point, and that they really need to regain your trust, as trust is everything to you or me or anybody.

Hope this ends well too.

Harry

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Babysitting

I have resigned myself to babysitting the mechanics until I get my truck back. I'm going to start calling them daily for an update because if I don't, they're not going to work on it.

The owner has a 6.0 that he's done a lot of work on and he seems to know what he's doing. The shop doesn't seem to be all that busy, though. That should have been a warning sign.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just called about my truck again. The owner had promised to call this morning with a status, but failed to follow up again. They're now estimating that it might be done some time next week. The one week job is stretching into a one month job. There have been no complications that I'm aware of, they just parked the truck in a corner and forgot about it.

My truck is my only transportation, so I had to borrow my daughter's car when it went into the shop. It has caused a great deal of inconvenience for both of us. I'm very disappointed in the customer service aspect of this shop.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Sounds like your deposit paid some of their past due bills and they're trying to figure out how to get your parts and machining done without money. That's not uncommon, in fact it's far too common. Stay on them, but be nice about it, and as the others have said, hope it all works out.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just called about my truck and it sounds like they haven't done anything since the last time I called last Wednesday. Both times I called they said, "Yeah, we just got the heads back on it." That's as far as they've gotten. They still haven't assembled anything else on the top end and it's going on four weeks.

·
1,324 Posts
Be sure to document this thoroughly. You need to start calling places like the better business bureau. I'd go there and ask to see the truck, parts etc. they may be just answering the phone. Sucks this is happening.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The last word they gave me was that the truck would be ready this afternoon. If it isn't I'm going to have it towed to the dealer and put back together. A month to do a 12 hour job is ridiculous. They have never called me with a status. They don't return my calls. My daughter drove past their shop yesterday and said that the truck has been sitting against the fence for the last three weeks and hasn't moved. I called them and they said it was in the shop and almost finished. The owner is a liar.

·
70 Posts
Man, I feel for ya.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just called about my truck again. He told me the exact same thing he said yesterday - we're working on it. It's almost done. It's just going to take another day. Yesterday when he told me that my daughter had just driven buy and said it was still parked behind his shop in the same place it's been for the last three weeks. I told him that I was coming down to pick the truck up tomorrow afternoon and would bring a wrecker so I could tow it to Ford. The truck will have been in the shop for a month as of next Monday.

·
3,051 Posts
If they actually took the motor apart already, then getting all the necessary parts together for another establishment to put back together could be an issue in it's self.

I can't imagine the frustration this must be causing you.

Need to take alot of pictures of the situation when you get the truck and obtain as much documentation as possible.

Then seek legal channels for justice. Even small claims court or consumer protection service if such is available in Florida.

Good luck on this Mabynack!

Harry

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
I would talk to an attorney before pulling it out of there so you don't step on your own toes. Also in the NYC area we have a major TV news station that loves these stories and helps get resolution. Any there?

·
1,324 Posts
Harry 6.0 and TooManytoys

:whs

It sucks and I know I would have a hard time keeping my cool :swear but if it's handled wrong you could end up being the bad guy. I would call the BBB and any other consumer protection groups including the local police to find out options first.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Harry 6.0 and TooManytoys

:whs

It sucks and I know I would have a hard time keeping my cool :swear but if it's handled wrong you could end up being the bad guy. I would call the BBB and any other consumer protection groups including the local police to find out options first.
Thanks. I think I'm going to call the owner this morning and explain the options and hope we can come to some type of compromise where they finish working on my truck.

I was laid off my job three years ago and have made due with part time and temporary positions, so I'm really strapped for cash. The $4000 I gave these guys up front was the last of my retirement account and I can't afford to just walk away. I'm going to have no choice but to sue to get as much of it back as I can. In the meantime, Ford is going to charge me a fortune to fix a basket case and I'm betting that they're going to have to go out and buy new parts that I've already paid for from the garage the truck is at now.

I just don't see how I have a lot of options. The place the truck is at isn't making any attempt to work on it. The truck has sat in their back lot for the last three weeks with the heads and top end of the engine laying in the bed. I can't trust anything the manager says. I can drive by the place and see the truck sitting in the same place while I'm talking to manager on my cell phone and he's telling me about all the work they're doing on it.

How can I trust them to do the work they promised? How am I going to know if they just slapped the old head studs, oil cooler and EGR cooler back on and charged me for new ones?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts