The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this post in the General Truck and Ex section but had no reponse...let's try again.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what tire/wheel combo I should use in order to create the most stable towing platform as possible for my bumper pull travel trailer. I'm not interested in mileage. On road stability is my A1 goal and priority. Currently, I've got 285 75/16 BFGs on the stock 16X7 wheels...not the best combo. I've been torn between going with a more narrow tire to fit the existing wheel or ditching the wheels and going to a 16X8 wheel which is better suited to the 285s.

Then I started thinking about why all the newer trucks have ditched the 16X7 wheel in favor of something that has a wider diameter. I think it's time to begin the head scratching once again. Would I get a few chuckles if I asked for a concensus on what tire/wheel combo makes for the better towing platform? I believe the Ex has a higher center of gravity than the F Series, so a wider footprint may provide for more stability.

·
149 Posts
I would suggest instead of trying to find the correct size you should first find a tire with the correct load rating. Try looking for a tire with a load range E rating and then start looking at different tread patterns and sizes. If you have already progressed passed that part then I would think a tire with less side wall would be more stable than a tire with more. Reason being is because then you would have less sidewall flex going on while pulling. Tread pattern would more than likely end up being a more highway friendly tread than an all terrain. The lugs would be arranged in grooves that go around the circumference of the tire instead of having interlocking lugs.

LT.

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Current rubber is BFG All Terrain T/A KO, LR E.

·
10 Posts
I would go with a narrower tire. a 235/75r16 would be both narrower and have a shorter sidewall. but make sure that you have the widest track possible. my little bumper pull camper did way better with stiffer tires and some more spring under it to keep it from swaying side to side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts