The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my truck up this morning and it ran fine. Went to back up and it stalled. Now it will only start for a few seconds then stall. When I get it running I can get it to stay for a few seconds by revving it up but as soon as the RPM's drop it stalls out.

Guys? :shrug:

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, it smelled a little funny under the hood so when I was poking around I noticed two cylinder looking parts with wires to the left and behind the fuel filter. The farther one back is HOT. Like I could touch it but it was definatley uncomfortable. The front one was normal temp. Does this help?

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glow plug relay?

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I have overdosed it on 2 cycle oil and clogged the fuel filter? I did put a little more than the 1oz per gallon in last time...

·
750 Posts
The GP relay was probly hot from beeing on alot with repeted start atemps.
It sounds like the cam sensor may have went out If it has the po344 code then replace the cam sensor. if you have no way or reading codes then i would try replaceing the cam sensor any way.

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, where is this located? I have seen a few threads saying it only takes a few minutes.

·
0 Posts
crawl under the truck...and look below the water pump...at least in that area. You will see a plug going to a sensor. I believe its held in with a 10mm bolt.

As for the running issue...have you checked the fuel filter. Just a WAG but perhaps some gunk got passed through.

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. No I havent checked the fuel filter yet. It died at 7am just as I finished my 12 hour shift. Of course nothing is open at 7am on a Sunday and I was dead *** tired. So I had to borrow my friends Duramax to get home...much to his amusement.

·
Gas No Way
29 Posts
As far as the 2 stroke to much , I have run 8 tanks of fuel and the 2 stroke oil and there is no fuel filter issues at all. Runs through it just fine. I even had one of the injectors pulled last week to see if there was any built-up, and the truck has 90,000 miles on it and the injector look real clean. Almost no carbon on it at all. CPS is my vote for sure.:Thumbup:

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, my friend ran the codes for me. It showed 1670 and 0344. I'm not sure on the 1670 but 0344 is the CPS (thanks Disel Dave), so it looks like I'll be changing that tomorrow. I wonder what Ford's gonna charge me for that?! :deal:

·
40 Posts
I had to replace mine I waited for the new CPS to be released, it is the same part number as the existing CPS Ford sells only thing is that instead of the "A" at the end of the number it is a "B", it ran me 27 bucks, may even be 25 in some parts of the U.S. Depends on the dealer!

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fordpower7.3 said:
I had to replace mine I waited for the new CPS to be released, it is the same part number as the existing CPS Ford sells only thing is that instead of the "A" at the end of the number it is a "B", it ran me 27 bucks, may even be 25 in some parts of the U.S. Depends on the dealer!
Cool, I can handle $30 +/- :Thumbup: I looked it up on the Advance Auto Parts website and it was $140!

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fordpower7.3 said:
Ensure you tell the dealer you want this part number F7TZ-12K073-B it is the 25 dollar one. This one is F7TZ-12K073-A 190.
Thanks! What is the difference?

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FIXED! :smoke

CPS, $28 from the local Ford guys! Thank you baby Jesus!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue

Hey, I am having the same issue and your answers have got me going to check out those same areas.

Question - What does the 2 stroke mixed with the gas do for you ?

Thanks - Paul

·
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Florida Gator said:
Hey, I am having the same issue and your answers have got me going to check out those same areas.

Question - What does the 2 stroke mixed with the gas do for you ?

Thanks - Paul
It's amazing that a 3 inch $28 part can sideline such a powerful vehicle. Definately carrying one in my glovebox from now on!

As for the 2 stroke oil check out these threads...

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43043

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41906

1 - 20 of 21 Posts