The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Muffin Man is a *****
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I got the truck a week earlier then expected thanks to a buddy of mine fronting me the cash till this coming thursday. Anyway, the trucks an animal, the wiring problem was just plain stupidity, fixed in 5 min. Moron put an external regulater on an already regulated alternator, and he couldnt figure out why his battery was exploding, plus didnt have the positive connected properly to the other batter so the idiot was charging one batter at 24 volts gotta love it eh?:eek:wned lol

so anyway, I've also run into another problem the radiator and tranny cooler setup is different, the radiator in the new truck has 2 lines running to the tranny cooler which runs through the area where the intercooler should be. Any Ideas?:shrug: I really need to figure this out because I think the star wheel and possibly the plate "MIGHT" be messed with because the truck just seems to have WAY to much balls for them not to and with stock exhaust and no intercooler I dont wanna take the chances which im sure you all agree with!

Also, it doesnt have a TPS apparently the guy who wired this up knew his crap, the truck shifts from first to second on its own, then has 2 toggle switches for 3rd and overdrive so none of that searching and excessive downshifting I love it!

Another thing, the rpm, speedo, and temp gauges dont work the RPM is a 6k one ill assume for the V10 that was in it, should I just throw my cluster in? Would I be able to? Voltage, Oil, and Fuel gauges do work though, go figure on the fuel one eh fella's? Ya'll know who im talking to on that one! lol

Also, its part out time guys! Dana 80 4.10's, 6 wheels (I'm gonna keep myself 2 spares hehe), misc body parts still in fine shape just need painting, Lower half of dash board maroon/burgundy colored. Make offers and let me know when and if you wanna come see!:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Good for you. And it's always nice to have a few friends like your buddy. I think you should keep the 6K RPM as a conversation piece. "Dude, this thing's a diesel right?" "Yep." "Does it spin all the way to 6 grand?" "Wanna find out?" LOL EDIT: "There's a reason I have the 6K tach instead of the 4K." And there is a reason. They will just presume the wrong reason. LOL

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol for sure, but is there way to make it function on my truck?

EDIT: Motor is going to my father -intercooled intake setup which is going on my new truck. Motor sale will be considered if the numbers are right.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'd think it would just bolt up wouldn't it? Maybe you have to get the other end off of a V10.

·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the the gauges are all in just the RPM and speedo and temp gauges arent workin with the diesel idk if thier broken or what I just threw it out to get possible ideas, cuz the oil voltage and fuel gauges are working so idk, odometer isnt working either soooo

·
3,514 Posts
You should be able to get the speedo hooked up, and the temp gauge as well. However, the tach is a different story. There is some difference between diesel tachs and gas tachs. I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't tell you precisely what those are. It has something to do with signal wave types or something like that, and diesel tachs are usually expensive.

However I have seen a schematic for converting the wave type with about $10 worth of parts from radio shack so that you can use a gas tach with a diesel's sending unit on a diesel and make it work. So I'll talk to the person that showed it to me and see if I can't get a copy and parts list to put up here to see if you can do it. For the record, the example I saw was for a Chevy 6.2L diesel to use a gas tach as a cheaper way of doing things. But that would make me imagine that it is definitely doable. Good luck with that.
Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts