The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so im not the smarted performance guy and know all of what you guys are talking about but i know the basics. the one thing i have been trying to figure out since i have join this site is what you guys mean when you say you have you truck "shimmed".. what does this mean and what does it do? is it performance or what?

·
0 Posts
In this case...mostly likely its done at the fuel bowl to increase fuel pressure. Similar to taking a garden hose and putting your thumb over the end to increase the pressure coming out of the hose.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, another question, what all is involved in shimming the fuel pressure regulator? is it something that someone who only knows the basics can do? and what all is involved in doing it?

·
191 Posts
EverydayStroker said:
ok, another question, what all is involved in shimming the fuel pressure regulator? is it something that someone who only knows the basics can do? and what all is involved in doing it?
Check this pics:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1080407610039885334sNzjuw

Thats the FPR with the parts, the ball bearing is the part to add to shim it or in the next picture in that link you have an alternative form to shim with a nut and screw.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by doing this does it add any hp? do it put more fuel through or just increase the pressure going throught it? and most importantly, will it harm my engine any?

·
0 Posts
It just increases fuel pressure. It doesn't solve the problem of the PSD being a dead-headed fuel system. By that...the fuel rails are dead headed. So...any foamy diesel fuel has to get shot through the injectors...and not re-cycled back to the tank like its supposed to be.

Check out ITP's Regulated Return kit to see how to solve this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts