The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so ive been running this chip since this summer(mainly because i got a great deal), but lately ive been wondering if there is an economy setting. With my big intake that i currently have, dumping smoke is nearly impossible, so i just stick to trying to conserve diesel. But...this summer before i added the big tires my best milage was about 18mpg on the freeway. Granted that i need a camber kit and a front end alignment, i was just wondering why my milage sucks compared to other 4x4 obs trucks with 4:10 gears? Is there an economy setting on the ts chips? Cuz the 75hp setting doesnt exactly economize...

·
TDG Mafia Member #73
1,003 Posts
Have you taken into account that the tires are bigger and have thrown off the odometer reading? That will show a mistaken lower MPG. but also the tires will have more rolling and wind resistance as well.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well is there some kind of formula to determine my true mpg? Also i kinda got carried away, my real question was...

1) is there an economy setting on the ts chips
2) which one is it? 50 or 75?

50hp
75hp
100hp
140hp

·
TDG Mafia Member #73
1,003 Posts
From what I have seen with my tunes, the higher HP tunes usually got me the best MPG empty under normal highway driving.

I hand calculate every tank fill up. Miles driven divided by total gallons to fill up. If you have not recalibrated the speedometer, you will show less miles traveled for that amount of fuel. That will show up as lower MPG, but it is a false reading.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i understand how to calculate my gas milage, but the question i asked was is there a formula to account for the false readings? I mean cant i recalibrate my odometer using math.

ex.

take the miles driven divided by gallons used x (.003) or something like that?

anybody know what im talking about?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always got the better mileage on the 100hp setting.

·
TDG MAFIA #101
390 Posts
I understand what you are meaning but I haven't heard anything about how to do something like that. You would probably be better off just making sure your speedometer is corrrect.

·
Honorary Superduty Member
68 Posts
Your friend sounds like a really smart guy, its amazing he cant get a better job:shrug:

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sorry about snapping, i was just overwhelmed and trying to get better gas mileage. I sold the truck on tuesday, thanks for the replies.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
well thats lame sold the ford already has a dudge what next buy a chevy???????????

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
camojeeper said:
well thats lame sold the ford already has a dudge what next buy a chevy???????????
hell no, thats a mistake that i will only make once. everything was falling apart on the ford that i almost thought it was a chevy underneath.

first truck: 1988 chevy 2500 5.7 gas

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
c00nhunterjoe said:
why dont you just reprogrma your psom so you dont have to do any math? then the speedo and odom will be correct.
read a little more he sold the truck:pointlaugh

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
well to answer the question anyway incase anyone else wondering. i run mine on 75hp setting. ive tried 50hp and 100hp. it works best with my app. i dont think ts has certain settings for tow, economy, etc. i belive the settings just adds power for when desired.

I cant think of the equation right now. the gasser i had had 33's with 4:56 gears. it was the opposite of most trucks with big tires. i would run 35 and speedo would say 45. if i can think of it ill post it

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
ok couldnt think of the equation but i figured one out.
1 drive down a road with mile markers
2 reset odometer right at a mile marker
3 drive to the nexted mile marker
pay real close attention were the odometer is at (.925 or .95 etc.
now say that number is .85
take .85 and multiple it how many miles you go on a tank.
say.... 400 miles
400 x .85= 340
take the 400 - 340= 60
400+60= 460
you actually traveled 460 miles.
i know it sounds like some bs but it works.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that makes sense, i was trying the remember the same thing...i used the 75 hp mode for economy but i didnt know if that was the preset setting for economy. I also tried the 50hp setting too in the summer before the tires, i think that was my best bet. I think a best net milage of 18.2mpg. Not too great, but im guessing alot of that was because of the 4.10's.

·
535 Posts
when your messing with these trucks, and speaking about gearing you basically have 2 options,
1) great empty highway MPG,
2) or great towing power and cuty MPG and not so good highway

1 is for those like me, auto, 3.55 and can do 80 MPH on interstate and get 20MPG, but when i was grossing 30,000 lbs towing the truck could barely do 50MPH towing is a little sluggish just due to the tall gears.

2 is for those like you, your not gonna get the best highway MPG, regardless of speed, but load up 30k and you would be able to maintain 65mph

best i have got was 22.5 on the highway at 75MPH to and from indianapolis twice in a day (100 Mi ea way) but that was empty, 80 degrees out, flat as flat land gets, and fill up at the interstate not get off and do some driving throught hte woods then fill up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts