The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 f350 w/ bully dog 4" turbo back exhaust straight piped, afe stage I intake along w/ tranny, boost and egt gauges. My question is do I have to have anything else in order to be safe w/ this chip? Also can I run the 140 hp setting w/ out worrying? I just want to be safe and this is my first diesel so better ask here.... oh and the settings I am looking to order are: stock, 50, 75, 100, 140, and high idle... what do you think??

thanks

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
99powerstroke said:
I have a 99 f350 w/ bully dog 4" turbo back exhaust straight piped, afe stage I intake along w/ tranny, boost and egt gauges. My question is do I have to have anything else in order to be safe w/ this chip? Also can I run the 140 hp setting w/ out worrying? I just want to be safe and this is my first diesel so better ask here.... oh and the settings I am looking to order are: stock, 50, 75, 100, 140, and high idle... what do you think??

thanks
You have all the necessary modifications for the new chip. One thing you may have to add down the road is a SunCoast torque converter & shift kit if you run your truck in the higher settings most of the time. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Sheila
TS Performance
270-746-9999

·
6,337 Posts
You need to do something with the tranny... they dont like anything above stock...

What is it? an early 99 or a late? Look at the y pipe just after the turbo, if it has a device that has wires coming out of it (two) heading to a Glow plug relay it is a later 99... more on that after we find out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the date on the door says 03/99 so i would say its a early 99??? i will probably only run the higher settings occasionally on the weekends, so should i still look into a shift kit and tq converter? also what shift kit should i go w/??

·
Registered
251 Posts
99powerstroke said:
the date on the door says 03/99 so i would say its a early 99??? i will probably only run the higher settings occasionally on the weekends, so should i still look into a shift kit and tq converter? also what shift kit should i go w/??
Its a late 99

·
6,337 Posts
anything after about 12-98 is early... ABOUT...

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
I would recommend a transgo shift kit.

Sheila

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
99powerstroke said:
where are some good places to find the tq converters and shift kits???

thanks for all the information too
You can get the torque converter and Transgo shift kit direct from SunCoast
www.suncoastconverters.com or just give them a call at 800-868-0053. Ask for Ron or Joe.

Sheila

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
You'll be fine. You seem like a smart guy just use common sense when using the higher settings. You will find you like the 75hp setting the best. This is where you will see your fuel economy and it's just a good all around daily driving program.

Sheila

·
6,337 Posts
You think you will use the 75 all the time... then after a few months... Your pulling your camp trailer with the 140... saying "this thing is too slow" woundering "what can I add now to go faster..."

YOU'LL see !!! I am right...LOL

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
99powerstroke said:
do you think i will need to do the shift kit and tq converter right away? I am thinking of ordering the shift kit now and wait on the tq converter
It will really depend on your driving habits. I'd wait and do both at the same time.

Sheila

·
Slow 6.0
1,554 Posts
my truck has 227k on it and ive been driving it with a 4 position on the 100 and 140 religiously, no issues yet, just be smart and youll be ok.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts