The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
STROKIN
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned a 2004 6.0L but now I have a 6.4L and would like to know from everyone what they recommend as the best tuner for the 6.4? I loved my SCT w/tunes by Thadd.. so now I am wondering whats the best for the 6.4? I want something that will give me 50/50 power/fuel mileage.

·
215 Posts
I love my DashDaq, the fact that I run Spartan tunes is superfluous.

I looked for a unit that meet my needs, holding and programing tunes is only 10% of what the DashDaq can do.

I also took into account that there is two ways to "tune" the truck. You can download the stock tune and upload a complete new set of settings, essentially reprogram the PCM.

Or you can run a dial a tune or on the go change, essentially with these you are just confusing the readings the stock program is running. Making it compensate for the out of parameter readings.

It would be like placing your home thermostat outside to make your home warmer or colder vs adjusting the dial on the front. One just can't be as accurate as the other.

Reactions: 08stroker250

·
130 Posts
I'm going to be honest, being you were used to 6.0L I have a Spartan and I do like it awesome power and fuel mileage, but I still have had this truck for almost a year and I liked my 6.0 Innovative tuned better than the 6.4l. The 6.4 is a way nicer truck as far as comfort and ride, but I liked being able to adjust what i wanted to with the SCT. I'm not happy with the way the 250 tune shifts, it's way too aggressive, truck jerks way too hard for a part throttle shift, the 210 tune is more linear and doesn't feel as "powerful" compared to throttle postion. I know I'm going to get flamed for speaking against the Spartan in any way but this is the way I feel, If the 250 tune was more calm on shifting I wouldn't have any gripes, like I said fuel mileage is definetly better, but I've switched from the 2 tunes numerous times and made me wish I had the troublesome 6.0 sometimes. Now the DashDaq is awesome, it has so many features the average person will never use, I do like being able to monitor damn near anything under the sun, and Spartan has alot of tunes that come with it. My main reason for buying it was to try and keep my factory warranty which they claim should be kept with it. Not out to bash the Spartan by any means, just being honest.

·
FukeneH
197 Posts
i run the reg 210 and could not be happy er with what i have got i have just about doubled my mileage 420 - 460km tank stock to over 825km getting over 560km pulling travel trailer.it has:wiggle payed for itself in 15k

·
STROKIN
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to be honest, being you were used to 6.0L I have a Spartan and I do like it awesome power and fuel mileage, but I still have had this truck for almost a year and I liked my 6.0 Innovative tuned better than the 6.4l. The 6.4 is a way nicer truck as far as comfort and ride, but I liked being able to adjust what i wanted to with the SCT. I'm not happy with the way the 250 tune shifts, it's way too aggressive, truck jerks way too hard for a part throttle shift, the 210 tune is more linear and doesn't feel as "powerful" compared to throttle postion. I know I'm going to get flamed for speaking against the Spartan in any way but this is the way I feel, If the 250 tune was more calm on shifting I wouldn't have any gripes, like I said fuel mileage is definetly better, but I've switched from the 2 tunes numerous times and made me wish I had the troublesome 6.0 sometimes. Now the DashDaq is awesome, it has so many features the average person will never use, I do like being able to monitor damn near anything under the sun, and Spartan has alot of tunes that come with it. My main reason for buying it was to try and keep my factory warranty which they claim should be kept with it. Not out to bash the Spartan by any means, just being honest.

Yea my 6.0 with SCT Tunes by THADD were crazy awesome. But eventually it took a toll on the heads so added studs and the normal 6.0 things. It would suprise TONS of cars when it would BOLT from a dead start with 38s on it. So now my issue is putting to much power too the 6.4 since shes EXTREMELY new (135miles) and I am new to the 6.4. I think for now I am looking for more of a fuel mileage tune than performance right now. I do have plans to add intake and exhaust. I have heard that the 6.4 breathes prettty well already so no need for an intercooler right now. Dont know much about the DPF Delete heck or much about the 6.4 either.. but learning little by little.

·
393 Posts
You'll need to delete the DPF & CAT to get the best fuel economy. I've run the Spartan System on all 4 of my 6.4 trucks and my experience is that the 250 HP tune is the best daily driver, excellent for towing and yields the best fuel economy. This tune also shuts-off the EGR system, which prevents fuel contamination to the oil. Without the EGR shut-off, I've experienced as much as 1 quart of oil contamination in 3,000 miles (put it 15 quarts then drained 16 quarts at the next oil change). The tune also cycles the EGR valve at idle so that it doesn't get "stuck" closed, in the event that you return the truck to the stock tune.

I did the Spartan/DPF-CAT delete on all of my trucks anywhere from new (drove it home from the dealer) to 5,000 miles and have never had any problems. I however, do not race my truck or do burn-outs, so I have never expected any problems.

Delete - Tune - Get Happy!

·
130 Posts
It is a totally differant animal when you do the straight exhaust and tuner, these trucks feel like they are stopped up when stock. I'm happy with mine like it is just would like to see a little lighter shifting. Fuel mileage damn near doubled when I switched over and the truck doesn't feel "choked" up anymore.

·
STROKIN
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like the same response from everyone:

DPF Delete: which in Denver isnt gonna be easy with emissions tests
Cold side intercooler pipe
Down Pipe
Exhaust
Intake

So now time to go shopping. Thanks Everyone

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
We have great deals on our Livewire 6.4L tuning package. There's enough power on top with the Xtreme Race to run with any other programming on the market. There are 4 tunes and 4 trans options you can choose to build a tune that meets your needs. Give us a call or email if you have any questions.

·
1 Posts
Spartan Tuner

Having done my research I think the Spartan Tunes combined with the Dash Daq is the best way to go. My understanding is to get any system to provide milage and performance a DPF/DOC delete is necessary. Currently Dash Daq's are not available because of key components being on back order. I got this info from Drew Ind and they were very non committal about when they will be available for shipment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts