The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Muffdvr
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a chip for my truck i was lookin at the sct or the edge but the sct i was lookin at is $399 and the edge is $1102 it doesnt matter how much i spend but i dont understand what the difference is in the product for the price difference as i dont no much about diesel trucks besides i want mine faster ... any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
well, fill out your sig a bit more first so we can tell ya how to spend your money LOL

the SCT has been proven the best tuning device for the 6.0...period. all the edge has are gauges built in. i think gauges and the sct still cost less than the edge and is much safer.

Dom

·
571 Posts
Also with the edge you can change your power setting on the fly, but I think most of us have found we tune our trucks for what we want to do and leave them that way. If you do want to change tunes (sct) it only takes about 5min. to reprogram.
The edge is better than what it used to be, but IMO the SCT is still the way to go.
For anther $300 you can get a 3 gauge set with mounting pod, so you're still under the price of the edge.
Also, if you take it into the dealer, there's no edge box sitting on the dash, or velcro, etc. where it used to be to give away that you've been improving on your performance a bit.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
$DIESEL said:
i need a chip for my truck i was lookin at the sct or the edge but the sct i was lookin at is $399 and the edge is $1102 it doesnt matter how much i spend but i dont understand what the difference is in the product for the price difference as i dont no much about diesel trucks besides i want mine faster ... any help would be great thanks
Agreed, I'd consider the the SCT Xcal2 with custom programming. Give us a call, PM, or email if you have any specific questions.

·
267 Posts
ID have a question about the sct x2 if i get another file from you how can i save the old file im replaceing it with when downlaoding off the computer??

·
571 Posts
You save it to your home computer/laptop. That leaves space on the xcal for the new tune.
It's a little bit of a pain to figure out the first time, but after that it's pretty easy. You just have to go to the SCT website and down load the drivers, etc.
The guys at Innovative have been great to deal with. They've been very fast to send new files when I needed them.

·
Muffdvr
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok im gunna order this sct from somewhere tomm what guages should i also order ?? where can i install the guages if i wanna keep that grab bar on the a pillar ?? and does anyone no where i can get the best price for this stuff thanks

·
571 Posts
Definetly EGT then trans since the stock gauge is crap. After that it's up to you. I have a boost guage.
All are above the rear view mirror.
Several vendors have package deals. I got mine from Dieselmanor, but I don't think they're a vendor here. $299 for guages and overhead pod.

·
2,821 Posts
I have an overhead pod with gauges. See my signature / pictures. Chris

·
Registered
461 Posts
Definitely get an exhaust temperature gauge. Also get a trans temp gauge since it is mainly just a timer. If you decide to get 3 gauges then go for a fuel pressure gauge also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
$DIESEL,

You might want to wait a few days/weeks the NEW Edge Evolution is going to be very nice! Sits on top of the dash, full gauge package and more tuning features too!! We are BETAing them as we speak and can't say too much but it'll be something to consider.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Muffdvr
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what pyrometer guage is better the drill and tap in the manifold style or the clamp style ???

·
6,337 Posts
Both are the same, one is a little easier to install but both are a ten minute job. If you drill and tap, drill the manifold with the motor running, using NO GREASE or anything 99% of what you drill will hit you in the face, the rest will go thru the turbo with NO ISSUES.

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Just a quick question. Could the SCT have a program written that would bring back the split shot injection? Or write it in on any year truck?

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

·
Muffdvr
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks ... where should i purchase my sct2 from..does anyone like a certain shops tune better than others ?

·
6,337 Posts
I like Tadd at Elite Diesel, he has tuned several of my familys trucks and my 7.3... That is one good thing about the SCT, you can have tunes from many differant guys and run anything you want!

I have heard some tuners have writin a pilot injection programs, dont know who or if they work....

·
Registered
91 Posts
yes pilot injection can be programmed back in, but some trucks dont like it. Just talk to your tuner and they can tell you their experience. Ford Rep Near me blames pilot injection for premature injector failure and poor drivablilty, not sure if I believe them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Edge....SCT seems like a GREAT tuner for someone who wants all out performance...I am told that Edge has more saftey outlets for someone who uses their truck as a daily driver. Example: Turbo timer, and saftey level shutdown for most of the functions. Not to mention change the power on the fly.....Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
the edge does have some cool fetures, but for me sct and real guages are the only way to go, just see to many problems with the edge box, i have seen there guages read very wacky, like a stock lly making 45pounds off boost and idleing at 650 degrees i don't think so lol
i will stick with the sct
robert

1 - 20 of 22 Posts