The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to diesel's and tuning. I have a 2003 Ford F350 6.0 SRW LB that I use for a daily driver. I also occasionally tow a 35 foot 5ver that weighs in around 12,500. On my first tow the other day, truck was rather sluggish until it got up to speed but still performed less than desired/expected compared to towing same load with friends same truck with Bank tuner. I have considered the Triple Dog by Bully Dog and will probably try their "Try before buy" 3 hour trial.

Question:

Since I am not into performance tuning for racing and use truck as everyday driver with occasional heavy towing, what would be my best option for an economy/power tuner? I know that this site is heavy SCT but need some unbiased opinions on all before buying based on my needs.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the flashpaq by superchip. Doesn't have the greatest power but it the tranny tunning is very good. The power is more than enough to surfice what you want it for. I have a toy hauler that I pull coming in at about 11,000 and I don't have much trouble at all. I also have a lift and a tire and wheel setup that is heavier than most, why I don't know but I lost alot of power when I added them, and I think that has alot to do with my power loss. Flash paq is a great tuner all together. You can down load more programs off the internet and it has a speedo recalibrater than is pretty accurate according to my gps. I think if you were to go with the flash paq you would deffinetly LOVE it.:Thumbup:

·
6,337 Posts
The reason most are pro SCT is due to the fact it is the safest, most ajustable, with the most end user options of anything on the market. You can get tunes from any of the vendors to do anything you want. You can store as may tunes as you want on your computer and load any three into the tuner. You can do live data streaming, read and clear codes.

There is a reason people are dropping everything else and getting SCT tuners.

·
571 Posts
X2!!!!
The 3 tunes I have for my SCT are a street, economy and tow. I too tow a 5er that weighs in over 12k when loaded. The tranny shifts are firm without being jarring and the power is good considering the weight of the trailer and the fact that my truck is lifted with 35's. With the SCT I can adjust the shifts and recalibrate for tire size among many other things.
I normally run around with the street tune in. It has great everyday manners and plenty of power when you need to pass. If i'm going to tow, like this weekend, it only takes about 5mins to reprogram to my tow tune. Which also has a turbo braking option that helps slow all that weight down on those grades.
CSIPSD is right, there's a reason everyone talks so highly of the SCT. If the tunes aren't exactly what you want when you get them, your dealer can tweek them til they're perfect.

·
452 Posts
I have a 2003 with a 6-speed and I was having the same problem. My truck had no low end when it came to pulling. Once it got above 2 grand it ran like a champ, but before that nothing. I put a superchip on it and I love it! It pulls so much better! And when I unhitch the trailer I go lookin for some rice-burners to blow away:evil:

·
57 Posts
I have both the SCT Xcal2 and the TS 5X and towed with both (of not at the same time duh) I ran the 5X for around a year and it tows very nice on the 75hp setting but the shifting wasn't quite as sharp as I would like but the mileage not towing was good. I now run the SCT and it's hands down a better shifter and more power on the higher settings. I would say that the SCT is a much more user adjustable unit and would be my choice. The TS 5X is also a fine product.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the opinions of the Edge Evolution? Sure looks like a lot in one package with the dash mounted pod. I found it online for around $400 with free shipping.

·
452 Posts
I have a friend with the Evolution on his 7.3 and its doggy as hell. He saw more of a gain with his straightpipe than he did with the evolution. I would go with superchip or SCT.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doggy?

·
172 Posts
Superchips Flashpaq 1805! :deal: :Thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I love my SCT. If you dont like a tune you have, you dont have to buy a new tuner, you just get a new tune. That is why it is awsome, and there are some awsome guys that make some awsome tunes for these trucks. You can do any thing you want with custom tunes on the SCT.

·
452 Posts
hopeful 6.0 said:
Yeah, no power off the line. It picks up alittle on top end but not very much. His truck even has 4:10s so it should have a decent amount of power off the line, but he doesnt have much more than stock. Like I said he saw a bigger improvment in power by adding a straightpipe than he did the evolution. If you wanna go with edge I would spend the extra cash to get juice w/attitude, but your better off with superchip or SCT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts