The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
w_huisman
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the itch again, but I have yet to scratch it because this time around I have the 5yr/100k warranty to deal with. It seems like you immediately risk your warranty if you tune. I'm trying to get a feel for how big that risk really is.

QUESTIONS:
How many of you folks with warranties asked your dealers for consent before tuning your trucks?

How many of you folks with warranties have had warranty work done on your truck since tuning it?
---Did the dealer notice your truck was tuned?
---Did you return to stock before going in for the work?
---If you have some sort of "understanding" with your dealership, what is it?

Has anyone here had their warranty voided because of tuning?

·
506 Posts
I think it really just depends on the dealer. Whenever I went in I would just take the edge out and they never said anything. Now the last 2 times I went in for warranty work right before 100k, I left the Edge in. They never said anything about it or the 03 turbo, EGR delete and exhaust. But my dealer really took care of me as we have purchased a lot of vehicles from them, and I am a tech myself, so I would always go back and b/s with the tech doing the work :happymugs

I wouldn't ask them if you can tune it, but I would de-tune before you take it in just to be on the safe side. :thumbsup

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
The dealer that used to be in town here was good about warranty work, they just asked that I disconnect the tuner/tune before they work on it. Now that that dealer is gone the only other option I have within 45 miles is a non mod friendly dealer. If I role in there with out my cat, a tune in or the C/A intake I will lose my warranty on the spot no questions asked. So I have found another dealer about an hour away that will not only do warranty work while this truck is modded, he will even put studs in when I take it there under warranty! So this summer when I get an extra $400 cash my truck will be getting studs.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
My dealer is marginally understanding to mods. The cat has to be there, but they don't care that I opened it up to 4". They won't warranty a turbo failure with an air intake. And I return the truck to stock before it goes in just in case Ford has an updated flash, I dont want my programer locked to the old tune.

·
139 Posts
As long as you are upfront with them, you shouldnt have any issues. the tech who works on your truck knows when a truck has been chipped or not, Most of the problems are when you try to explain to them that the truck hasnt been chipped and then they find out it has. Its really hard to find a truck that only has an intake and exhaust with no chip in it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts