The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Road train
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
Well unfortunately a few days ago I blew the 3rd pdi big boss stage one 720001 on my 2002 western star with a cat 6nz engine.
Truck had this turbo on it when we bought it. It has always had loads of power we roll 140k pnds most all day everyday. Its got low sped rear ends at 65 mph I'm at 1600 rpm in top gear. 18 speed. In the hills I'll outpull the 600 Cummins' with the same load on.

The first turbo the impeller nut fell off and we replaced it with another pdi 720001 well it lasted just over 100 000 miles and the impeller lost a fin. I was on the side of the road and replaced it there...

So fast forward now 3 months after the 2nd turbo blew we were doing a valve set up and Jake set up and I noticed the new turbo we put on was all mangled up on the front of the compressor wheel fins. From what the turbo shop tells me I must have had a chunk of aluminum from the 2nd turbo blown up into the air breathers and it ate it again. Wasn't too happy about it but it was my own mistake..

Turbo shop convinced me to install a 171702
Borg warner aka a s400s supposedly good from 5-700 hp. This time we put in new air filters and new intercooler. Cleaned all the ducting. Got it all back together now. Havnt pulled a load with it yet.
I'm curious to see if this size b.w was a good descion. I almost bought the s475 instead. We are not sure if the truck has a tune in it or not. The previous owner had said it had an "updated" ecm im not sure if that ment a tune or not and of course we can't find his contact info.

Anyways the s400 is a 75mm x 100mm compressor and a 96mm x 87mm with a 1.32 A/R
I've looked high and low and can not find the specs on the pdi big boss 720001 or what the stock cat turbo was for specs. Dealer says it had a OR7923 on it from stock?

My latest pdi turbo isn't in that bad of shape actually if I could find a wheel to fit it I would rebuild it? Hopefully some one has some clues !!?

Anyways guys thanks in advance!

·
Road train
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey all
Well unfortunately a few days ago I blew the 3rd pdi big boss stage one 720001 on my 2002 western star with a cat 6nz engine.
Truck had this turbo on it when we bought it. It has always had loads of power we roll 140k pnds most all day everyday. Its got low sped rear ends at 65 mph I'm at 1600 rpm in top gear. 18 speed. In the hills I'll outpull the 600 Cummins' with the same load on.

The first turbo the impeller nut fell off and we replaced it with another pdi 720001 well it lasted just over 100 000 miles and the impeller lost a fin. I was on the side of the road and replaced it there...

So fast forward now 3 months after the 2nd turbo blew we were doing a valve set up and Jake set up and I noticed the new turbo we put on was all mangled up on the front of the compressor wheel fins. From what the turbo shop tells me I must have had a chunk of aluminum from the 2nd turbo blown up into the air breathers and it ate it again. Wasn't too happy about it but it was my own mistake..

Turbo shop convinced me to install a 171702
Borg warner aka a s400s supposedly good from 5-700 hp. This time we put in new air filters and new intercooler. Cleaned all the ducting. Got it all back together now. Havnt pulled a load with it yet.
I'm curious to see if this size b.w was a good descion. I almost bought the s475 instead. We are not sure if the truck has a tune in it or not. The previous owner had said it had an "updated" ecm im not sure if that ment a tune or not and of course we can't find his contact info.

Anyways the s400 is a 75mm x 100mm compressor and a 96mm x 87mm with a 1.32 A/R
I've looked high and low and can not find the specs on the pdi big boss 720001 or what the stock cat turbo was for specs. Dealer says it had a OR7923 on it from stock?

My latest pdi turbo isn't in that bad of shape actually if I could find a wheel to fit it I would rebuild it? Hopefully some one has some clues !!?

Anyways guys thanks in advance!
First pic is the 2nd turbo.
Second pic is the 3rd turbo when new
Third pic is the 3rd turbo now
Both pdi.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Ol Dirt Contractor
2,803 Posts
Air cleaner, intake tubes, all rubbers, clamps etc. need to be completely disassembled as pieces fly back to the air cleaner element. Without doing that broken pieces just go back into the new turbo.. I learned that the hard way years ago..

·
Road train
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes most definitively. I took everything apart brake cleaned and wiped out every boot and tube vacuumed out the cleaners new filters the whole 9. Drove it today and everything seems good. Seems to have just as much power as the pdi. I'm fairly happy with it so far. Dropped and picked up a new trailer today bit we will see tomorrow when i load up 100k onto it and put her to work!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts