The Diesel Garage banner

Turbo Burp, Crazy Boost, White Smoke

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  harry6.0 
#1 ·
I have posted this on the Powerstroke forums too. Not sure if that is aloud. Please let me know if not. Ok, I wish I could make this short and sweet, but Im not sure I would get enough info out to tell all the details. I have an early 03' F350 6.0. I have had a couple episodes where on first startup of the day, white smoke would roll until warmed up. Then I sprung an oil leak and went to the forums searching for clues. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the icp sensor was the problem. Ordered the Ford/International replacement and installed it. Put everything back together with no extra parts laying around, and thought I was "The Man". The very next day while climbing a hill, not towing, that I always climb, my turbo started burping. It was the first time I had this happen, so I assumed the worst. Went to the forums. Some say it is ok/natural. But to have never happened before, and now pout of nowhere, I was skeptical. So back to the forums. I remove, and check the cac hoses, and check anything related. Nothing was abnormal. Then all of the sudden the truck starts running really bad. I have a blutooth obd reader with torques for android for my gauges. Under normal take off my boost would clime as normal, but when it hits around 18-21 it instantly goes in the negative range. around 15ish. At that time, the turbo starts "burping" like crazy, and the truck is missing, sputtering, and throwing white smoke. I added seafoam, don't hate me, to the fuel filter on top of the motor, and added the rest of the can to the fuel tank. I tried flooring it in hopes of cleaning a dirty injector, but the problem got worse. That brings me to this weekend. I had Friday thru Sunday to work on this thing. I assumed the turbo, so I started tearing things down. While exploring, i was checking the wiring, and flung that 2 wires going to cylinder 7 were severed. I fixed those. While I had most of the top torn down, I decided to clean the turbo. Thats where the latest problems arise. The easiest bolt on the turbo to get to came out like a dream. Then the second bolt, the one facing the front of the the drivers side, stripped the head. I used a Dremel to cut the head off, then a pair of vise grips to get the bolt out. Now the on in the ver back WILL NOT COME OUT!!! I have tried everything. I used a wrench, a socket, a bolt extractor, and even took the exhaust apart under the crossmember to gain an inch, and still I am stuck with the very last bolt that I can not get out! I am not sure i can get a torch back there to add heat without burning the truck to the ground. Is pulling the cab my only option at this point? Please help me, as I have stayed very calm to this point.

See less See more
#2 ·
If your getting white smoke upon first startup idling and it smells like raw diesel fuel, then you very likely have at least one faulty injector with a cracked or stuck open nozzle. This type of white smoke is un-timed raw fuel and can eventually result in a hydro-locked cylinder.

Faulty injector-s will cause turbo performance issues...need to address white smoke upon startup problem first, before tackling turbo.

Also should check your FICM output voltage too...should be 47-49v at all times.

Now for the current scenario of the frozen bolt...soak it overnight with PB-Blaster...stuff is amazing for freeing up frozen bolts.

White smoke upon startup can also be egr cooler issue if you still have one...smoke will be more like steam and not smell like diesel fuel in that case.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Harry

Reactions: Smoker
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.