The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to compare different brands of replacement compressor wheels. I think most people go with the wicked wheel but, I want info (good or bad) about all brands. All feedback is appreciated.
Thank you,
Kenny
:popcorn:

·
1,726 Posts
The compressor wheels you are talking about are nothing more than a OBS/early 99 compressor wheel. The only difference that I have heard of is that the Banks wheels are slightly thicker to hold up to high boost. I don't know much about any of the other brands.

·
1,291 Posts
funny you should say thati have ordered the Banks wheel and it came int he same box with the same part # as the one we get from our supplier.... if you want a compressor upgrade we have oen for the 7.3l a real larger compressor wheel

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
a buddy of mine is running the whicked wheel compressor wheel .. dont know much about it tho..

·
1,726 Posts
LIPD said:
funny you should say thati have ordered the Banks wheel and it came int he same box with the same part # as the one we get from our supplier.... if you want a compressor upgrade we have oen for the 7.3l a real larger compressor wheel
I don't doubt that in the least. A lot of parts seem to be that way these days.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wicked wheel maker claims that it will reduse or eliminate turbo surge, how much truth is there to it? or with any other brands?:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
I installed the WW in my 99.5. It has reduced surge / stall maybe 15%. It whistles much more than the stock wheel did though. If you are still running the stock air box, the reduction is surge is much higher.

·
282 Posts
KT Performance said:
The wicked wheel maker claims that it will reduse or eliminate turbo surge, how much truth is there to it? or with any other brands?:shrug:
It completely eliminated the surge in my truck...
Good luck,
Steven

·
1,921 Posts

·
6,337 Posts
gtspowerstroke said:
Wow that's scarey that a shop that actually sells parts is telling people to stick a screwdriver in the turbine to break the compressor wheel loose!!!!:eek:

Sorry Geoff... We all dont do it your way:squish :poke: LOL ...

I have installed many that way and never had an issue... but I didnt get them rebalanced eather:pointlaugh !!! OMG!!! I am going to blow up from a turbo thats not balanced...

All the compressor wheels are coming from the same place... Find the cheapest one and go for it...:Thumbup:

·
1,726 Posts
BigBuilder was looking for a way to quiet down his early 99 turbo. When you get your new wheel in you might be a good neighbor and send him your stock one. I can't believe you would ever want to change back.

·
382 Posts
if you get a wheel make sure that you get it balanced. if you dont it could come apart at hi boost

·
1,921 Posts
Yeah joe some people on here are redneck shade tree mechanics that have our trucks held together with bubble gum and bailing twine. Then you have others of us who do things the right way.:pointlaugh :pointlaugh

The wheels are ballanced when you get them. If you look on the back side you will see a section that has been machined down. That is how they ballance them. The turbine wheel/shaft is ballanced and the compressor wheel is ballanced so when you put them together they are ballanced.

·
0 Posts
On my early 99 I've never experienced turbo surge. I've heard it on my Dad's 02 however.

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
gtspowerstroke said:
Wow that's scarey that a shop that actually sells parts is telling people to stick a screwdriver in the turbine to break the compressor wheel loose!!!!:eek:

i have not done it, but that sounds ok as long as the installer doesn't mash the screwdriver in the wheel and twist the **** out of it or something. plus they said it was padded with duct tape.

·
39 Posts
The ww did completely get rid of the turbo surge on my truck as well.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is what I wanted to hear. I will be putting in a ww in about a week or two when I replace the CPS. I figured I would do it all at once.

·
282 Posts
I shoved a screwdriver when I did mine. It worked out great. About 25k later I pulled my turbo to replace it with a BB one... and there is absolutely no play in the turbo wheel!! I have not heard of anyone having a problem with their turbo after doing this either?? Well maybe not fess up to it!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts