The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read a few messages talking about needing to let your turbo cool down before you shut the engine off. I have not been able to find any information on how to monitor the turbo temp., or if you were able to monitor the turbo temp at what temp it is safe to shut off the engine.
Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just make sure my EGT is back down to 300 degrees preturbo before shutting off the engine. I'm not sure what the actual turbo temp should be, but I've always been told as long as the preturbo EGT is back down to 300 your cool. Hope that helps a little.

Ben

·
Diesel-a-holic
43 Posts
bigdiesel502 said:
I just make sure my EGT is back down to 300 degrees preturbo before shutting off the engine. I'm not sure what the actual turbo temp should be, but I've always been told as long as the preturbo EGT is back down to 300 your cool. Hope that helps a little.

Ben
That the rule I follow too...If you dont have a pyrometer Just let the truck cool down a couple 30 seconds - 5 minutes depending on how hard you were driving it. I got used to waiting for it, doesnt bother me knowing that im extending the life of my turbo :Thumbup:
-Casey

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You can add a turbo timer/life Saver and make it easy. The 300 deg is a good general rule, and you need an EGT gauge for that.

I have a remote starting alarm set @ 10 minutes, and I use it to cool down the Turbo once I reached my destination.

·
261 Posts
dfuser said:
I have a remote starting alarm set @ 10 minutes, and I use it to cool down the Turbo once I reached my destination.
Ditto; mine's only set for 3 minutes though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback! As usual this forum responds with some good advice.

John

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First let me offer a shameless plug for our Turbo Temp Monitor:

I don't actually have one in my truck (haven't gotten around to putting one in). One suggestion I learned back when I drove Freightliners: Rev the engine up to ~1000 rpms (in neutral), to shorten the cool-down time. Moving more relatively cool air will cool the turbo down faster.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
6,337 Posts
:poke: :poke: You dont have something you make installed in your truck???:poke: :poke:

I bet you run autometer gauges too...:roflmao: :muha :roflmao:

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
CSIPSD said:
:poke: :poke: You dont have something you make installed in your truck???:poke: :poke:

I bet you run autometer gauges too...:roflmao: :muha :roflmao:
I can't install one of EVERYTHING we make! If I did, my dashboard would look like yours :poke: I do actually plan to install a TTM one of these days. It's getting a redesign soon due to parts obsolescence, and I'll probably install one of the prototypes to test it out.

And about those Autometer gauges... Like I told you on your visit, we need to evaluate the competition periodically. I'd be disappointed if Autometer's Engineering Manager didn't own some ISSPRO gauges...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
LovinPSDs said:
It seems pretty hard to get my truck to drop to 300 on a pretty warm day. Is alil over 300 ok. I mean as long as it's got up to a few mins to idle is it ok? I was looking at this.. bottom.

http://www.longislandperformancediesel.com/Ford 03-06/Ford - 03-06 - Turbo.htm
I'll admit to giving up on reaching 300 on really warm days. I figure after 2 minutes it's probably cooled down enough.

If you were looking at the other brand due to the price, see the following:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/ttm.asp

The Isspro website has list prices. Most of the online vendors have prices closer to jobber. I'm sure LIPD, or DFUSER could sell the ISSPRO TTM cheaper than the one you listed. And it comes with a metal enclosure...

/shameless plug

·
idunnoyet
231 Posts
Can't let my truck Idle too much, parking brake is gone and the truck may run away, kinda like my wife, turn my back for a minute or two and she's gone to spend my money, lol. I have always made it a rule to Idle a big truck, Caterpilliar, Cummins, Detroit, atleast 5 minutes, when i park, kinda easy when you got a log to do. Never really thought about it on my pick up though, thanks for the info, sure the same rule can apply here too.

·
whistling up a storm
254 Posts
Michael said:
I'll admit to giving up on reaching 300 on really warm days. I figure after 2 minutes it's probably cooled down enough.

If you were looking at the other brand due to the price, see the following:
http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/ttm.asp

The Isspro website has list prices. Most of the online vendors have prices closer to jobber. I'm sure LIPD, or DFUSER could sell the ISSPRO TTM cheaper than the one you listed. And it comes with a metal enclosure...

/shameless plug
will the part work with any guage setup?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
2towrjp said:
will the part work with any guage setup?
Only if your thermo coupler is post turbo. Just about everyine have their EGT gauge pre-turbo. At least that is my understanding on where it needs to be connected. ISSPRO states that in this case a kit is required to connect it.

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Post turbo temps are way to unreliable to gauge what the actual heads are running and the Turbo it’s self. Pre turbo is your best bet, and most turbo timers that I have looked at read preturbo temps. Alarms systems set at a 3-5 min shutoff should be very close, some in the Southwest when it 100+ might want to go a bit longer.

300 is a good mark. When it is hot and muggy out it will take quite a bit longer to cool down. A little over 300 is fine, but I wouldn’t do it to much. If I’m in a hurry, I’ll shut it of at 350, but shiver when I do it.

·
CATPOWERCRAZY
19 Posts
As long as you have not been running the truck hard you can safely shut it down when you park. With old style turbos this was a problem but not anymore.

·
203 Posts
If your driving around town then you should only need to idol for a few seconds after. However if your pulling a load or running her hard on the freeway it would be best to let her idol for a couple minutes or longer. Its just helping save the life of your turbo. Your diesel wont burn hardly anything idoling for 10 minutes.:poke:

·
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
440 Posts
If you have been pulling hard or playing hard then give it some time to cool down. What happens is when the motor stops running the turbo no longer gets oil and if it really hot then the heat soaked into the turbo will cook the reamining oil and damage the bearings. Letting the motor run for a few minutes gives the oil a chance to carry some of the heat out of the turbo. So just like it was said earlier, 300* is a good temp to let it get down to before shutting it down.

Will-

1 - 20 of 23 Posts