The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 F-250 with a 7.3 makes a weird :"shhhhhhhhhhht shhhhhht shhhhhht" noise seemingly out of the exhaust while driving, but also at idle. It is intermittent. The power seems to drop slightly while doing this, and surges back up when the noise stops. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is it/how do I check it?

Thanks for the replies. How do i check this, and where is it?!?!?!?!?!?! I do not have a code scanner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is built into the exhaust side of the turbo, the down pipe bolts to it. A lot of people have removed the parts in it. Short version is, it's a hydraulically activated butterfly valve that closes to restrict the exhaust to aid in engine warmup in cold temps. There are several places to find out how to gut it if you want to. I did mine when I redid my turbo. If it goes away when the engine warms up, then it's probably working fine.
Aaron SEIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I'll check it out

It does not stop when the truck warms up. In fact, it seems to get worse.

·
25 Posts
Mine does the same thing, but quits after 30 min or more of driving. I was thinking of unhooking it untill i have time to take it out. Would unhooking it throw a code? It gets pretty annoying driving to work (on off on off on off).

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
you can unhook it but deleating it is better. the best way to deleat it is change the turbo pedestal. you can get a pedestal without the exhaust back pressure actuator. #F81Z-6N639-CARM is the pedestal with the ebp actuator
#F81Z-6N639-BARM is the pedestal without the ebp actuator. note= the pedestal without the ebp actuator is taller in hight. put a few on with no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts