The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting a turbo house for my truck. what would be a good one. witch house should i replace? i know i should upgrade the complete turbo, but i'm on a super tite buget. i haul a tractor every know and then and i also haul my toyota when i go 4wheelin'. and i'm looking at a 30ft camper. i have 125hp injectors

·
3,514 Posts
Is your truck an auto or a manual trans. If it is an auto, then you have an hy35, I believe the manual still had the hx35. Anyways, an hy only has a 9cm exhaust housing, so going up to a 12 or 14 would help you out tremendously. I think a 16cm would be way too big for what you are trying to do. Htt sells some nice exhaust housings.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my truck a five speeds. i have an edge ez also. i' m think about going to a 14. will this boost power or will it stay the same. it doesn't matter to much to me, just as long as it keeps the truck cool when hauling something.

·
3,514 Posts
The 14 will make spool up a touch more laggy, but if you just delay your shift points you shouldn't have an issue. Ultimately it will keep it cooler on the top end as well.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
I went with a 16cm non-wastegated. They are available new and used lots of places and are not real expensive. There is a fair amount more lag over the stock 12cm, but once you learn to drive it with the new housing it is not bad at all. I pull a g/n trailer a lot and the reduction in egt's is well worth the lag. I lost about 100* emtpy cruising down the Interstate and close to 200* while towing. Plus I went from a wastegated 39lbs of boost to a non-wastegated 40lbs of boost max. I was worried at first how much boost I would see, but it worked out perfect for where I want to be.

The 14cm or 16cm would either work, but you will have more gain with the 16cm. Just have to sacrafice a little lag off the line.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah I wasn't sure about the 16cm just because of the lag factor. However I'm coming from an auto, so I would imagine that the lag is a lot worse, you guys can just hold your gear longer.
Sean

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am interested in upgrading housings but when I went to HTT's site they said none of there housings would work for an auto with an hy...what could i do?..get an hx and put it on my truck?

·
3,514 Posts
you could get an hx but then you're already spending money on a turbo and a housing, you might as well buy an upgraded turbo, like a 35/40 hybrid. Research it, I bet someone is making housing for hy's.
Sean

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i talk to htturbo today. they said i should get the 14 or the 16. the 14 is $177 and the 16 is $155. my turbo spools up at around 1300 to 1400, where is a 16 going to spool up at.
also the adapter, do i have to have it or is it something i can fab myself.

B

·
0 Posts
What adapter are you referring to? With a 14 or 16 non-wastegated the only thing that changes is the downpipe will have to be moved 1" in towards the turbo to make up for not having the wastegated housing. I can't help you on the temp, because all trucks are different.

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
let restate this my trubo spools up at around 1300 to 1400 rpm. just a ball park number. where do you guys thank a 16cm would spool up at.

·
313 Posts
to use a non/wastegate housing you need to use the cast elbow off 94 to 99 hx35 turbo to hook to stock or aftermarket down pipe. the non/wastegate housing have a v-band clamp on the back like a 89 to 93 turbo. i just took off a HX35/40-14 n/wastegate to put on my HTT 66/14. i think i have part of the pipe you will need pm me if you need it. thanks

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i ordered a 16cm housing, should be here friday. they wanted $109 for the cast elbow. you by the elbow from dodge for $58. i think i know were one is. the price is right a lot most free.

bigdodge aren't you guys making a intake?

·
313 Posts
yes we are. just put one on the green machine race truck before they went to texas for the dhra finals. they run a 9.90et. check it out on moparmax.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts