The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck was hibernating for the winter till i decided to take it out for a drive on some dry roads today. When i left the driveway and rolled into the throttle i new right away something wasn't right. The boost would climb to well over 20 psi and the truck was moving like a slug. The turbo almost sounded like it gonna go through the hood because of the high pitched noise it was makeing. The turbo whistle just didn't sound right, it alot more high pitched. I went to let off of the throttle and it made that famous turbo fart. I noticed traveling on flat roads doing about 35mph, cause that's all the faster it would go, at about 1500 rpm's the boost was about 15psi. Which normally on flat roads at 35mph the boost usually reads around 5psi or a tad less. After a while of driving it started to make the farting noise quite frequently while i was still on the throttle instead of doing when i let off of it. Anyone have any thoughts on whats causing my truck to boost this high and cause the farting sound and turn the truck into a slug?:shrug: I was gonna pull the turbo off of my spare engine and get it ready just incase i hafta swap 'em. At first i thought sticky vanes, but then i thought it could also be the VGT solenoid. Hopefully it's just the VGT solenoid, but any help from you 6L turbo experts will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
veins are stuck closed

·
1,660 Posts
stuck veins, my truck did the exact same thing the first time they stuck.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cb44473 said:
probably stuck veins pull it apart and clean it how long was it sitting.
It's been sitting for a couple of months. It's been pretty cold here in western New York, so you guys are probably right. Sounds like the vanes are frozen or stuck closed. This is still the original turbo that came on the truck. The truck currently has 45K miles on it. Been running the edge juice from 17K miles till around 40K. Then been running the SCT from 40K till now. So i bet the 'ol vanes on this orininal turbo are probably pretty caked up then. I've already taken the spare turbo off the spare engine and cleaned, so this one is ready to go on. But how bad and how long would it take the normal person who's somewhat familar with wrenching to pull the turbo out of the truck and put a new one on? Just trying to figure out how long it's gonna take so that i can make time to do it probably next weekend. Thanks for your feedback so far everyone. I'll let ya know how i make out.

·
1,660 Posts
first time i did it , i had it off, apart, cleaned, put back together and back on the the truck in 3.5 hours.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, i was thinking before i go and swap the turbo's, would it be beneficial to maybe send the exhaust housing out and have it ceramic coated to help for spool up? Just wondering before i go and put it on.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
strokin6L said:
Hey guys, i was thinking before i go and swap the turbo's, would it be beneficial to maybe send the exhaust housing out and have it ceramic coated to help for spool up? Just wondering before i go and put it on.

Might as well, it wont hurt. Diesel soot is corrosive. And the freeze thaw cycles cause moisture and multiplies the corrosion. When you take it apart you will see how the indexing ring can get hung up along with the Vanes having to scrape the soot off. But yes... they are sticking closed and it will smoke the turbo quick if you dont fix it.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks josh. I'll see who i can get or find to do this ceramic coating to the exhaust housing. I can't wait to see how nasty looking the turbo is gonna be when i take it apart. I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
strokin6L said:
Thanks josh. I'll see who i can get or find to do this ceramic coating to the exhaust housing. I can't wait to see how nasty looking the turbo is gonna be when i take it apart. I'll post some pics.
Sometimes they can be a pain to get apart, you might need a wood chisel or something with a gradual taper to push the housing off after you take the band off of it. They almost seize together.

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
It's pretty warm today, how is it running?

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't drive it today. I don't drive it to work. I have another vehicle for a daily driver back and forth to work. I was wondering, when i put the new turbo on, should i put oil in the oil feed hole of the center section first before i start it up so that it has oil right away, or doesn't it matter?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
strokin6L said:
I didn't drive it today. I don't drive it to work. I have another vehicle for a daily driver back and forth to work. I was wondering, when i put the new turbo on, should i put oil in the oil feed hole of the center section first before i start it up so that it has oil right away, or doesn't it matter?
It will have oil when it starts, dont worry about it.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i called my buddy at the local ford dealership, cause i got to thinking that my truck is still covered under the 5yr/100k mile warrenty, so why not have it warrentied right? I take it in thursday to drop it off, so i'll have it back friday. I probably wont be able to get any pics then if he's gonna warrenty it and send it back to ford. All i'll hafta pay is the 100 deductable for the new turbo and i wont even hafta touch a wrench. Seeing as that i have an early '04 truck with a 10 vane exhaust housing, does anyone know if ford would replace it with the same thing or the newest version. Just wondering cause i love my whistle and would hate to get rid of it if they put a newer style turbo with a 13 vane exhaust housing on it.

·
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, i picked my truck up today. It received a brand new turbo, new revised oil drain tube and a new actuator. Everything was warrentied. My buddy is the head tech at the dealership and they don't even ask any questions about warrentying stuff for me. Not to mention the service managers are great too. I dropped my truck off on feb. 21 and told them i don't need it right away, cause they were pretty busy. I received a call yesterday that it was done. I went to the dealership to talk to my buddy to see what he had to say about it. He said, from the night that i dropped it off, till the day it was finished, the service manager or he himself brought my truck into the shop so that it was kept warm and didn't get snowed on. Now that's service! I gotta buy these guys lunch for taking such good care of me and my truck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts