The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I'm New To The Forum I Bought A 2001 F350 4x4 Powerstroke With Auto Approx. 3 Weeks Ago I Have Put A Dp 6 Program Tuner Afe Stg 2 Intake And Magnoflow Full Exhaust . I Have Noticed A Odd Noise Out Of The Turbo At Approx 10 To 15 Psi Boost The Most Sound Is When Trans Up Thru Gears Shifts . It's Kind Of A Low Pitch Honking Type Sound . Hard To Explain Doesn't Seem To Doit When The Boost Is Above 15 Psi . Could My Turbo Be Going Out Or Is This A Normal Sound With The Afe Intake .

Thanks For Any Input

·
6,337 Posts
Called surge, happens around 10-15#'s boost. Stock they do it, but you can't hear it in the stock intake... You can add a Wicked wheel, or a ATS housing to stop it. Try not to drive it in that range, it will kill a turbo over time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats The Best Option And How Hard And Complicated Is The Install . I Like More Power And Louder The Whistle The Better .

·
Registered
424 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Called surge, happens around 10-15#'s boost. Stock they do it, but you can't hear it in the stock intake... You can add a Wicked wheel, or a ATS housing to stop it. Try not to drive it in that range, it will kill a turbo over time.

Or you could do what CSI did and get a Turbonetics replacement unit. He had a Garrett BB that surged, so he needed something that didnt.

GTP-38r BB TURBO(Out for now...back at Garret) Running a Turbonetic no surge turbo!!! Thanks Brian BWD,

·
6,337 Posts
That is a very good option too. YA need to think about how far you want to take the truck... I started with a WW... then a WW/ATS housing, then I still stepped up to a bigger turbo... How far do you want to go and how much do you want to spend...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i use the truck as my back up truck for work hauling my enclosed trailer and sometimes a mini excavator at approx. 13000 total weight . most of the time just running around and every once in a while smoking some ricer . but i have know plans on drag racing or taking it to sled pulls . so what would be the best option ats or a turbo upgrade for my aplication . what benifits would an upgraded turbo have if any for my type of usage .
thanks for the great feedback so far

·
6,337 Posts
With a turbo, you can grow into it. There is only so much you can do to the stocker, and no mater what it will always be rated for 25# max... A replacement turbo will push 40# and up with no issues...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hello wetside orygonian...I was in your position a little over a year ago and it didn't take long for the exhaust side of my turbo to let go. I did a bunch of research on the turbo options like you are doing and settled on the "van turbo" that is in my sig. Why? Money. I, like you, am not in search of max HP but wanted a reliable working PSD with no turbo surge. I won't get deeply into pro's and con's but I can positively tell you that I have no surge, under any conditions, and I payed hundreds less than some of the more common replacement turbo options. Like I said, for me it just came down to money.

·
748 Posts
I'm also a first time owner of a PSD. After I installed my AFE II I also noticed a sound when I was really accelerating, and when the trucks automatic shifted, I would hear that whoosh sound with a strange "squak?"
I was told it was normal, just the turbo kicking back the built up pressure it couldn't use when the trucks rpm's dropped due to shifting.
So my question is, are we talking about the same symptoms?
Is it "surge" or is it normal.

·
4,024 Posts
It is surge. It is normal for a stock turbo.

It is also detrimental to the health of the turbo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FireHunter said:
Hello wetside orygonian...I was in your position a little over a year ago and it didn't take long for the exhaust side of my turbo to let go. I did a bunch of research on the turbo options like you are doing and settled on the "van turbo" that is in my sig. Why? Money. I, like you, am not in search of max HP but wanted a reliable working PSD with no turbo surge. I won't get deeply into pro's and con's but I can positively tell you that I have no surge, under any conditions, and I payed hundreds less than some of the more common replacement turbo options. Like I said, for me it just came down to money.
thanks for the input firehunter , where did you buy your turbo from how does this compare to others . with this turbo you don't need ats housing is this correct??? why did you choose this option over the ats housing ?? just curios . my turbo was replaced on this truck @34k and now it has 58K just wondering the average life of them

·
6,337 Posts
depends on the use of the turbo... I had a stock turbo in my 99 for 270,000 miles... You can find Van turbos at Wrecking yards sometimes. It is a good option, also a Exhaust housing from Beans diesel will stop surge on most trucks...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think i just caught on ? a van turbo out of an actual ford van ? i thought it was a van brand name of some sort . no wonder google didn't come up with much .
hey csipsd where can i go and watch these truck pulls i see you doing in your pic. i see you live on the east side of the mountains

·
6,337 Posts
I am working in the valley right now, new home depot in Corvallis. That pic was at truck fest this year in Denver... There is a pull in sublimity every year. I know there are more around but we have to find them...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, van turbo out of an E-series Ford diesel van. They bolt right on since they came factory on a 7.3L. I got mine from Bean's Diesel. I chose this option because my turbo was badly blown (read: puking oil out the exhaust) and I was advised by multiple vendors not to drive it at all. I needed a complete replacement turbo because to have it rebuilt would take too much time - which time doesn't sound to be as much of a factor for you since this is a "second" vehicle. I was able to get this turbo in two days and bolt it right on. And, of course, it was pretty much my cheapest option at the time.

Buuuuuuuuut...I see the low mileage you have on your set-up and it would probably make sense to just modify the turbo you have now and save some monies. Wicked wheel, ATS housing, larger exhaust housing, or some combination of the three should fix it. When I got my van turbo it came with the larger exhaust housing and the wicked wheel already intstalled so that was a snap. Most guys go with ATS housing which I believe is $400+ (right? I forget) and I got my whole turbo for around $700. I was also right at 100K miles on the original unmodified stock turbo so I didn't mind replacing the whole unit.

Decisions, decisions...you can't really go wrong...how much of your money can we spend? LOL

·
6,337 Posts
Like I said, think about what the future use of the truck is... If you want more get a full turbo now, if you think your happy and going to be happy then get a housing or exhaust housing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks guys for the info i will think about it over the weekend and open the wallet up next week for a beating .

what turbo would be best bang for my money and aplication if i decide to go this way .

·
6,337 Posts
I would lean for a Turbonetics for a truck at your point. You can talk to Brian at BWD. If you do it I would get the smaller Exhaust housing. Should be able to get it for $1200-$1300. There is also the GTP-38r, a garret ball bearing turbo. But I had issues with mine and am still working with garret on fixing it...

There is a BB in the for sale section from a guy on here, Tornsteel. He traded in his 01 and got a 06 and kept the turbo. I think he wants $1200?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CSIPSD said:
I would lean for a Turbonetics for a truck at your point. You can talk to Brian at BWD. If you do it I would get the smaller Exhaust housing. Should be able to get it for $1200-$1300. There is also the GTP-38r, a garret ball bearing turbo. But I had issues with mine and am still working with garret on fixing it...

There is a BB in the for sale section from a guy on here, Tornsteel. He traded in his 01 and got a 06 and kept the turbo. I think he wants $1200?
the turbonetics is sounding like a good option for me and i see where they are on sale right now and with the money i saved i think i could buy more stuff for the truck .

thanks again to csipsd and the others

·
6,337 Posts
Silverton.... Cant place that... Where is it? That is one nice looking truck!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts