The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I changed my oil the other day and when i do this i take the hose off from the turbo to the air filter (just for more space) and i noticed there was oil laying on he intake side of the turbo and im wondering if there is blown gasket or seal or is this normal.:shrug:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had oil residue there but it was from my filter just putting to much on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its typical to have residue there, if you pull the hose off and it gushes out, you've got a problem. Otherwise, I wouldn't concern yourself too much with it, just be conscious of it when you change your oil. Check the inside bottom of the air box and make sure you don't have a black pond in there.

·
1,055 Posts
Check for play in the turbin shaft, it should not move, and check to see if it is making contact with the sides, if not you should be fine.

·
113 Posts
i ran my old truck for about a year or so once i noticed that i was getting a oil flim on the intake side of the turbo then i junk it. the compressor wheel never tough the side but the exhaust sure got ate the **** out of it. i shut my truck of in the drive way an i heard ting,ting,ting....... the oil flim means that u have seal that is going bad. it may last long time or a short time just all depends on how much hp u got and driving style. i was only making about 410 when i puked the stocker.

·
113 Posts
something else take the elbow off where it comes out of the compressor an runs into the inter cooler an see if there is any oil flim there. not the whole inter cooler pipe just off of the turbo. if there is then i would say you need to be easy until you save some money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys i'll check it out this weekend. i don't know if its the same on a pickup truck but i have heard horror stories of a semi truck goin into runaway from oil leaking into the intercooler.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, that can happen on a pick up too. It takes a bit of oil to cause that, but if a seal went out, you definitely could.
Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts