The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What turbo would you guys recommend. All my info is in my sig. Id like to run a single that would support 600 plus hp. I dynoed 603 with the twins and don't wanna lose a whole lot by going to a single. It is a street truck that I drag race with so it has to be semi street friendly. I was looking at htt's 66mm comp, 16cm stainless exhuast housing and industrials silver bullet and one of scheids lightning turbo. Does anyone have one of these and how do you like it or what would you recommmend. I heard that scheids turbos are over priced for how they perform. Now my truck is an auto so I do know I can put a higher stall in to help it light something if it is kinda lazy. Let me know what you recommend. Thanks guys.

·
1,189 Posts
a 600 hp single for the street might be a stretch

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a pro 52 on the way. It was only 1200. Sledpuller500 (eric) has one on his common rail and he made 604. His is a stick but ill try it anyway. See what a big singles like before I drop 2k into a htt or something else. Still would like to know if anyones using something like that as a single and how they like it.

·
3,514 Posts
My buddy ran a pro52 on his 99, with a drag comp, and mach 5's, and it did alright. However he switched to a sled puller 66 and felt it was an improvement. The big thing about those, is that they run a 4 9/16ths exhaust outlet (read spendy) that flange and clamp will run you about $170 plus anything else you need to fab the down pipe. Also, you will need to get an adapter from the stock t3 flange on the exhaust inlet. I'm not sure if the pro 52 is a T4 or T4i flange.
Sean

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually gave them back to east coast and they refunded me. The downpipe isn't an issue. The local machine shop is going to turn the housing down so I can use the hx40 downpipe. He's only gonna charge me $80 to machine it too. Bad *** if you ask me. I might have him cut the flange down to a t3 flange. He said that's like 300 though so maybe ill just use an adapter plate.

·
3,514 Posts
80 bucks to turn it into an hx40 style is a good deal. As for cutting the other flange down. I'm not sure if there is enough material there to make that work or not. I'd say run the adapter plate.
Sean

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see you hooked up a wastegate. Where did you get it and what all is involved in setting it up. I heard its pretty tricky.

·
3,514 Posts
I run a tial 38mm gate. I got it through a friend that builds little ricers, he hooked me up with it at cost. Anyways, with all that said, hooking it up wasn't too hard. I built a full size adapter to run between the exhaust manifold and the inlet to the turbo. Then bent up a piece of 1.75" tubing notched it out for the 3" hot pipe and notched a corresponding hole in the hot pipe. Then jigged it all up on a stand I have, because the relationship between the adapter (therefore wastegate), the turbo and hotpipe wouldn't change between the stand and the engine.

Getting it tuned has been tricky and has been a lot of testing and a combination of different springs and a wastegate adjuster. The nice thing is that the wastegate has two adjustment ports, so boost pressure can be used to either add pressure to the top or bottom of the diaphragm allowing for great fine tuning. Right now I have it set at the drive pressure I want on the top turbo to keep it spinning at an approx. PR of 2.3. This seems to work pretty well for me, but I'm sure that there is more fine tuning that I could do as well.

I choose this PR because it's right in the turbos map, and assuming a drive pressure ratio 1:1 the resulting opening pressure to achieve this is at approx 18.75 psi drive pressure.

Hope this helps a little if you're planning on running one.
Sean

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you figure out your drive pressure

·
3,514 Posts
drive pressure gauge. I run a 100psi boost gauge tapped into the wastegate adapter, with 6' of coiled 1/4" copper tubing before going to the nylon boost tubing. Works like a charm.

In reality, the drive pressure still comes up higher than that, however, that is the point at which the wastegate is set to open, so the higher pressure should be apparent below the top turbo as well. And the top turbo shouldn't see much more exhaust flow after that point. I would like to see the difference in drive pressure between the two chargers though and may work on setting that up soon. If you're running a single charger, you will want to have a bit stiffer wastegate springs than that though.
Sean

·
313 Posts
i ran an II PH71 with .83 gated housing on my 00 dually, and drove it every day with 790hp. it was on a p-pumped 24v

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What for turbo is that. Who makes it. What do you have done to your p pump 24 valve. And is yours a manual or an automatic.

·
3,514 Posts
Its a modified silver bullet. Still an s300 base, but they are modified to run a 71mm compressor wheel. They also run a 74mm turbine wheel. You can also get a k31 with a billet 71mm comp wheel.

Industrial Injection can hook you up with either.
Sean

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. That's pretty much the same specs as the pro52 I got.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts