The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Underpressure76nm
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is leaking air from the turbo housing clamp holes what does this mean? Truck has literally no power ,,,won't get up and go,,,,was driving real easy yesterday and went to pass and the truck just wouldn't go,,,any helps appreciated thanks guys:gaah

·
162 Posts
My truck is leaking air from the turbo housing clamp holes what does this mean?
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying that the short hose that attaches at the turbo (outlet) & CAC (intercooler) pipe is leaking air?

If that is what you're saying, it isn't uncommon for a leak to develop there. It can be from a torn hose or even 'blow off' under boost. If you are leaking air, the engine isn't getting boost. A leak will turn your engine into a gutless wonder.

Only solution is to replace the damaged hose and/or clamps. When doing that, make sure that both the turbo outlet & cac pipe is throughly clean of any oil.

·
Dieseld
4 Posts
My truck just started whistling like a tea kettle, just driving normal. Im new to the powerstroke game, and I bought my truck off a Diesel performance mechanic. Of course I can't get a hold of him!

·
3,051 Posts
Whistling like a tea kettle, hopefully it's not whistling out of the coolant cap on the degas bottle, if so you likely have head gasket issues.

If it's just turbo whistle when idling or taking off and runs fine, then that's what they do with a freeflowing exhaust, cooler weather can be a factor too, nothing to worry about.

Harry

·
Dieseld
4 Posts
Thanks brotha. I hope your right. It always whistles. At idle,and just going slow too. Smokes a bit when at idle. Other than that,its a damn fast truck. My first built Powerstroke. So Im pretty clueless on whats right or not with it.All I know is that its got a Garrett Powermax turbo, 4" dwnpipe w/a 6" exhaust, S&B cold air, driven diesel regulated return fuel sytem, egr delete, F.I.C.M. tuned w/100hp shot, SCT tuner,ARP Head studs w/black onyx head gaskets. Stage 2 trans.

·
3,051 Posts
The Garret PowerMax turbo can whistle much louder than most stock turbo's. Stock 03' yr model turbos like my old original one had a loud whistle with a free flowing exhaust, my current PowerMax whistles much the same. When we installed a Powermax on my buddies 06' his whistles loud now too. PowerMax turbo without question can whistle like a jet. They also need tuning with FICM and or SCT to perform correctly. I've had my PowerMax installed for many years now and it has been trouble free.

If your smoking at idle and it's black smoke, then it's likely just over fueled a bit from the tuning and or larger injector nozzles...which is highly likely since you have regulated return system, as long as it clears up when driving you should be fine.

If your smoke is whitish-gray smoke and smells like raw diesel fuel, then you have a bad injector-s.

Excessive black smoke while driving and lack of power can also indicate a bad injector that's over fueling or a compressed air boot-intercooler leak or poor turbo performance.

And yes, a performance modded 6.0L like yours can be fast. Just keep an eye on all the vitals.

Harry

Reactions: Smoker
1 - 7 of 7 Posts