The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just learning the ins and outs of diesel tuning. As I've stated before, we've always just drove the darn things. We didn't mess with the way they ran. Now I have one to tinker with, and I'm tinkering.
My question of the moment is this: I've read a lot of posts here, and on other cummins related sites about faster spooling turbos and such, and I wanted to know if any brand of turbo, whether it be Holset, Garrett, KKK, or some other brand was any better than the others. I am looking at turbos on ebuy and I'm seeing a lot of different types, and I would like some professional opinions. Anyone want to give their .02 here?

Brad

·
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88
578 Posts
Borg warner S300 62/14 gated. Awesome all around turbo. Get it for under 900 and laugh at everones super b whish is the same turbo for 1200. Or if it's a daily driver and not gonna be pushe past 40psi of boost the HX35 with a compressor upgrade can be equivelent. The holsets just use alot smaller shaft so they don't last as long as the borg warners (aka. switzers).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah CP, it'll be a DD, probably never see more than 30 on the gauge. I doubt it'll pull more than our big *** boat back and forth to the lake regularly. But I want my Father-in-laws knuckles to turn white while we're gettin there...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CP, You'll have to 'splain what you mean by hybrid.

When it comes to turbos, I know one thing: It's workin, or it ain't. I understand the concept, and I know faster spooling is gooder, but that's it...I've never had one apart, I don't want to experiment with the only one I have, and I don't want to be without one. So, I've went to the old rule; If it ain't broke, don't screw with it.

That leaves me coming here and pickin the experts' brains...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks CP.

Is it just me, or is this BB kinda slow on posts recently? I checked in several times yesterday, and no one had been posting...

·
3,514 Posts
cumminspride said:
Borg warner S300 62/14 gated. Awesome all around turbo. Get it for under 900.
Where are you finding these? The S300G is the stock S300 and its a 57/65/14wg I've seen those for under 900, but never a 62. I thought all the 62mm turbos were modded s300's and the ones I've seen have all been in the 1200 plus range.

I'm not trying to call you out, in fact I'm hoping I'm wrong. I would love to find a new 62/14 for under 900, I've just never heard of one.
Sean

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
sstockton said:
Where are you finding these? The S300G is the stock S300 and its a 57/65/14wg I've seen those for under 900, but never a 62. I thought all the 62mm turbos were modded s300's and the ones I've seen have all been in the 1200 plus range.

I'm not trying to call you out, in fact I'm hoping I'm wrong. I would love to find a new 62/14 for under 900, I've just never heard of one.
Sean
:whs :iagree :shrug:

Also http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60631

1 - 10 of 10 Posts