The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a new turbo on my truck; either a new compressor wheel and housing or both housings. I would like to keep it near $1000. Can i get some ideas and hints or opinions from past experiences. Thanks.

·
459 Posts
just pay the extra dollars and by the Turbonetics or Garrett Ball Bearing turbo, it will be worth the money

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have the turbo upgrade? or know someone who has done it? i would like to know how hard it is to install and was it worth the money? how big a difference in horse power, torque, and acceleration, ect, ect?

·
748 Posts
I can answer the "how hard to install" question because I just did it last night. I would not call it difficult, just a PIA. Everything is hard to reach. It took me a total of 5 hours but I spent some time cleaning the valley and valve covers and I also replaced the lower pedestal o-rings.
One hint, if you decide to replace it yourself. Soak the exhaust v-clamps on the up pipe and down pipe with PB blaster or like penetrant. It made a world of difference getting them to "pop" off.

·
Supporting Vendor
484 Posts
Are you looking to add a chip or tuner in the future? How about bigger injectors. Why do you think you need to upgrade at your current level? Let me know and we can try and suggest some options.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
It all depends on what you are going to do with the truck. As said before is it chipped will it be?

I have the TN replacement and love it. Only reason I did it was the stocker went south. But now I have room for some bigger injectors if I want them. I know for the price I was qouted to rebuild my stocker the TN unit was a no brainer.

And as for replacing it not a problem it does take a little time if you have never done it before. When I did mine I also cleaned all the IC tubes, cooler and did the CCV delete. Cleaned everything I could on the motor to. Also did a Tymar to so if you want to do any other mods it is a good time since the motor is a little cleaner with the turbo off.

·
459 Posts
I am actually doing the turbo swap right now with the Garrett BB. The turbo swap isnt bad at all, it was what we found after we got the turbo out. My exhaust up pipes were leaking at the exhaust flanges to the Y Pipe. It was a pain in the arse to get those bolts out of the flanges. If it wouldnt have been for the exhaust leak, i would have had the turbo in and taking the truck out for a joy ride tonight. But i am also doing the intercooler swap for the 6.0L intercooler, so that will be done tomorrow after i do the turbo and the CCv mod. Will let you know how it all goes.

·
6,337 Posts
I have turbo swaps down to an hour...

The Turbonetics from BWD is a great swap as is the GTP-38r...

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone for all the input. i do plan on chipping soon, i have to sell a few amps, but i plan on getting the banks six gun and transcommand for the auto tranny. i understand if you put more air in each cylinder, your gonna need more fuel. do you recommend the injector upgrade first? and where would i find the best prices on the turbonetics or the garret ball buster?

·
6,337 Posts
AllOut0606 said:
thanks everyone for all the input. i do plan on chipping soon, i have to sell a few amps, but i plan on getting the banks six gun and transcommand for the auto tranny. i understand if you put more air in each cylinder, your gonna need more fuel. do you recommend the injector upgrade first? and where would i find the best prices on the turbonetics or the garret ball buster?

You dont need injectors for any of the two turbos mentioned, both will run fine on a bone stock truck...

The Turbonetics is from Brian at Black Widow Diesel, should be around $1200...

The Garret BALL BEARING GTP-38r is from many vendors, Elite Diesel, LIPD, DI... many others... Price should be about $1500 + or - a hundred...

·
2,334 Posts
AllOut0606 said:
well you can do alot better for cheaper than the six gun.. go with a flipchip from anyone of the vendors and some guages and ill guarente that u will smoke a guy with the same setup but with a sixgun... banks doesnt even compare to what the vendors on here are making for power for less hyped up money

·
6,337 Posts
Hey Nick... are you a umpa-lumpa??? Nice avatar...

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what are your thoughts on rear end and transmission? will the transcommand be enough to compensate for increased horsepower and maintain a pretty good longevity of life for the trans and rear?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, I own a 2000 7.3l powerstroke. I was looking for a turbo upgrade for it. Im not real big into towing but more on the lines of racing. You know what kind of turbo I can get?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Why do you want to you upgrade the turbo, more power?

In that case you can spend the money several other places before the turbo must be addressed.

What mods are done to it now? What do you plan? How much HP do you want, and how much to spend/

·
Registered
45 Posts
D2HP said:
Are you looking to add a chip or tuner in the future? How about bigger injectors. Why do you think you need to upgrade at your current level? Let me know and we can try and suggest some options.

Dave
I was looking at getting elite diesel 100hp+ injectors for my 7.3. But I also wanted to get a bigger turbo. I had looked at the ATS Aurora 5000 turbo but one of my friends told me that would be to big of a turbo for those injectors. Is that true? What should I do or get?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I would recommend the Garrett Ball Bearing bolt in turbo, or the Turbonetics bolt in unit.

The Turbonetics should be good to about 450 RWHP, the Garrett BB 500+

·
459 Posts
Well, as i said i would do, i am posting about the completion of my turbo swap. After inspecting my old turbo after removing it, i had found it was in its beginning stages of dusting. i had a bad intake tube at the turbo, which had a crack in it. But anyway, after swapping the turbo and intercooler, all i can say is WOW, i love the performance. If anyone is in the market for an aftermarket turbo, go with the Garrett Ball Bearing unit, you will be impressed. I have ehard of people having oil leaks, i have not had one. There is a plug on top inbetween both housings that needs to have the threads teflon taped so the oil doeasnt seap by, not a big deal to do. But anyway, if anyone has questions, feel free in contacting me. by the way, NO TURBO SURGE at all and i live at 6000+ ft. I had terrible turbo surge with the stocker turbo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts