The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you ajust the boost on your stock turbo waste gate. If you can por's and con's would be great. along with how?

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
auto Y does that matter

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
because 01 and 02 auto trucks have a smaller turbo a HY35, and all other trucks have a HX35 turbo...you can put an adjustable boost elbow in the HX but you cant put on in a HY...I had a Y but they are crap! I think Bully Dog and Banks make sumthing that you put on to get more boost, but I had a friend that had 1 and said it didnt help...

Nathaniel

·
3,514 Posts
You can use a J-hook to keep the wastegate shut on the hy. They aren't a great turbo though if you are moving more exhaust. However, they do gate all 6 cylinders as opposed to just the 3 rear cylinders like the hx. I would look at a 35/40 hybrid or larger if you're planning on adding more fuel. Also without any additional fuel you won't really see much higher boost numbers.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is a j-hook ? Or Y cant you just cut and clamp the Vacume line to the wastgate. wouldn't that do the samething.

·
3,514 Posts
Oh, I was just going based on the post above mine. I didn't look at your sig. and see you have a 2000. You can just block off the line, but I wouldn't recommend it. Rip at source Automotive sells an adjustable boost fitting that threads into your compressor housing at the same place as the stock elbow, and connects to the hose running to the wastegate. The fitting has a screw in it, and can be tightened down to restrict airflow and delay the opening of the wastegate. The reason that I would recommend doing this, is because completely blocked off, high enough boost pressures can be generated to pop your headgasket, and the stock hx35 is out of its efficiency range at around 32psi boost. If you don't have more fuel than stock, this won't really do much for you though. However they do only cost $15, so its a good mod to have.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what the wedb page?

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what are they self taping

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is it worth the work?

·
3,514 Posts
If you have an hx35 which you should, because your truck is a 00, there should be a rubber hose running from the compressor housing to the diaphragm end of the wastegate actuator. At the compressor housing end of this hose, there is a brass fitting that is threaded into the hosing. Remove this fitting and switch it out with the new adjustable one. Then just turn the adjuster screw in, until you get it to a level you like.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my wastgate line going to the turbo is steel and no brass fitting???????

·
3,514 Posts
really? Where does it run from? Does the head on the actuator run into the comp housing or does the line come from else where? I've never seen a 24v set up with the line coming from somewhere other than the comp housing though. Only some old 12v's.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's a hard line from the actuator of the wastgate that goes right into the side of the outlet (coldside) of the turbo. If i take that hard line out and leave the hole on the turbo open I lose huge boost pressure.

·
3,514 Posts
Thats how the hy's are set up. My 2000 has a rubber line. Check the tag on the compressor housing and see what it says for the model. The only way to block the wastegate with the set up you have is with the J-hook. You could get creative and figure something out I guess. I'll have to look at the Hy I have sitting on the bench and see if I can figure out some better way to do it than a J-hook so you still have adjustability.
Sean

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
does it say HY any where on the turbo that i should look at.

·
3,514 Posts
It should say it on the compressor housing on the blue and silver tag.
Sean

·
85 Posts
It sounds like a hy. I have one and rather than disable the wastegate I drilled a real small hole in the hardline. Keep making it bigger until you get the boost desired. Its the same thing they do to the hx, making a small leak to keep the wastegate from opening as quick.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts