The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so whats the best route to take turbo wise? i see there are van and ported turbos for reasonable price, then a twins kit, the hypermax, and then gtp-38. i also saw on lipd's site, that they offer a "high tech turbo compressor wheel", im assuming this is the wicked wheel yall refer to, or is it a different one? also, with what turbos will require larger injectors/intercooler?

thanks

·
6,337 Posts
For a 6-leaker guy your asking alot of questions...:nunu:

What... you skerd???:sly: :poke: :roflmao:

The WW goes by many names, thats one of them.

Theres the GTP-38r, then H2e, and WOQS. as well as high-tech and ballbuster. I feel the H2e and ballbuster all light better with bigger injectors but all will work.

·
214 Posts
To my understanding a bigger turbo isnt needed unless you do have larger injectors. I think most people just go with a larger single turbo instead of twins but thats another debate on its own lol. Ive seen alot of ppl swap out housings or switch to a whicked wheel or bothe to help control turbo surge. I dont think there much performance increase as better throttle response, quicker windup, and etc. As for intercoolers I dont know, in my truck just having one is a big upgrade lol. I do here of people swaping in 6.o intercoolers, I suppose there better and theres a few aftermarket ones too. Also with bigger injectors and a larger turbo comes more boost so at some point youre going to need headstuds but at what point Im not sure. Im sure somone will chime in who knows more about your body style and correct all the wrong stuff I just told you:HappyMugs

·
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CSIPSD said:
For a 6-leaker guy your asking alot of questions...:nunu:

haha, im about to purchase a 99-01 7.3. as much as i try to tell myself im gonna keep this stock so it doesnt blow up, well.......i just cant do it...LOL :shrug:

·
6,337 Posts
You wont have any issues with the 7.3, They like there oil and coolant:poke: :roflmao: ...
But anything later then mid 01, well they dont like there rods over 400hp, for some reason they spit them out:shrug: :nunu: :roflmao: .

But you can defenatly bennifit from a BB turbo without injectors, garret tested there GTP-38r from stock turbo with a tune to a BB with a turn and gained 60 hp! I am getting one from LIPD as soon as I get some "other things:sly: " paid for... My stocker is no longer happy with 25-30# boost with water-meth injection and a lot of fuel:smoke: :barf: !

·
214 Posts
Not trying to jack the thread but, when would you need head studs? 40+ lbs?

·
6,337 Posts
About 40... but if you have a 01 or newer, you'll need rods before studs! With good tunning you can push 400 hp and 38# with PMR's but much more and you'll be looking for a long block!

·
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so what kinda power could you expect from a intake, exhaust, tune, and turbo? 350/600?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts