The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference replacing the H1C Turbo with an HX35W or HY35W Turbo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have a non I/C truck, then you have the "baby H1C" with the 50mm comp. wheel. An HX35 is an upgrade on those trucks, but if you have the later model H1C it isn't really an upgrade.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if its intercooled, then its not really an upgrade going to the HX35?

·
444 Posts
If its IC'd its not much of an upgrade. The IC'd H1C's use a 54MM intake wheel. It has a map range of 25 PSI. The HX35 has a map range of 35 PSI.

If you plan on turning up a IC'd truck. Just step into a better turbo the first time. No sense in buying two or three turbo's to get where you want to be.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be a better turbo? What about an HX35/HBT3 Setup?

·
444 Posts
Unless you want to go all out in the fuel system. Twins are not a good idea for a DD.

What are your plans with the truck??? DD, play toy, towing

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats when a FASS 200 system would be installed I take it.

Play toy for now. Found an article in a Diesel World Magazine where a guy did a bunch of mods to his first gen. And the outcome and output put a giant grin on my face :D

·
444 Posts
Yea he just used all the cheap tricks to get there and didn't give credit to anyone on a few websites he was pumping for info.

When it was time for big money in the fuel system he baled to a p-pump engine.

The Fass is one of the cheaper fuel system mods. Price having a 14MM head VE pump assy built. Price a set of EDM 1st gen injectors. You'll see what I am talking about.

Remember the VE is a low pressure injection system. To make HP costs more in one of these engines than it does with a p-pump engine.

You have a non IC'd truck. They came with a decent set of injectors, with a few pump mods you can pull 300 HP or so pretty easy.

Your limiting factor is no IC. It doesn't take much turning of screws to hit high EGT's.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't care for cheap mods on this truck when I think about doing it.

Mines IC'd. Havent found anything to get pricing on a 14mm VE pump. But couldnt believe it when I saw the price of a single EDM injector. But I'd be willing to pay that price.

Any ideas for finding that 14mm VE pump if I cant find something in the mean time?

·
444 Posts
That site has issues with quality controll. Their rep isn't to good.

Schieds can build you a 14MM head VE pump.

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/home_0.shtml

Another caution. The 14MM isn't a proven setup for DD chores. It wants a lot of fuel threw it to help keep it cool. They are not recommended for DD. Most 1st gen owners that have done this setup use the truck as a dyno queen only. This pump is classed as expermintal. Its buy at your own risk and they do not have warrenty's.

The 94 to 98 pumps were P-pumps. To convert to a P-pump it would be cheaper to buy the p-pump engine. Buying p-pump parts online is expensive. Most of the time you can buy a complete engine just as cheap as the used parts run.

BTW the piston are different between a P=pump engine and a VE engine.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, well I wouldnt be using it for tractor pulling. I want to keep it on the road. Looks like I'll be doing some digging for info. Thanks.

·
444 Posts
If you going to be sled pulling find a used complete P-pump engine. It would be cheaper in the long run.

To get high HP out of our low pressure injection system can get expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't care for cheap mods on this truck when I think about doing it.

Mines IC'd. Havent found anything to get pricing on a 14mm VE pump. But couldnt believe it when I saw the price of a single EDM injector. But I'd be willing to pay that price.

Any ideas for finding that 14mm VE pump if I cant find something in the mean time?
Your sig says you have a '90, and you said it was intercooled? Did you install the intercooler yourself, because Dodge didn't intall them from factory until '91.5. If you have a '90 with the stock injectors you should be able to hit 300rwhp pretty easy. Also, is yours a SRW, or a Dually?

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Previous owner installed it. Single

·
444 Posts
If the intercooler is a Banks setup. It might be a problem. It flows less air than a stock IC'd intercooler does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts