The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are you limited to how sharp you can turn with a trailer with a weight distributing hitch?

reason i ask is i was turning around the other day and one of the tension bars flew out and the place it fits into the hitch was bent out(the little ball area.)

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Back when I pulled a bumper pull, if I was getting into manuveuring I would removed the bars(like backing in at the house). I'd stop up the street, remove the bars so I could back in easily without binding.

They have "give" for what I would call normal cornering, but if you get them too tight I think they could do just what happened to you.

I had the same type as you, just snapped into a small socket and had a little clip up top to hold them. Maybe the other design which slips up in a tube would be better? Or would they tear something else up?

Maybe it has to do with how tight you have them also? My one truck I would just use my arm to lift them to latch it as I just wanted to add some resistance to the bob/weave it used to get hitting bumps. My one ton I would use the cheater bar to pop it up.

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was just doing like a long u-turn and it popped. i was in a parking lot so there was no speed. they replaced it free of charge so thats a plus.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Might have been a faulty set up? Too sloppy of fit? The catch pin on the top too loose?

Glad to hear they replaced it.

·
1,836 Posts
I have turned tight enough that the tipups marked the bumper with sway cams.

If the chains are a little short on the tipups they will move the brackets or pop the chains, if they are loaded a broken chain will often take out the retainer catch on the top of the hitch. Dragging a springbar down the highway usually makes it useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts