The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right an '84 Ford Tempo with a 2.0L DIESEL!!!

Wanna turn the screw on the pump on this mad beast. But before I do what could I possibly mess up besides the economy? Hard starts? Ruined injectors? Or god forbide a blown engine.

·
274 Posts
had a buddy that had 1 years ago. i doubt it could make enough power to hurt itself. even more gutless than vw diesels of the day. if you twist its ears you might make 55 hp. add a tiny turbo, and or propane. what kind of miles on it and how hard has it been run.at this age it might not last very long one you turn it up.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its got 110,000 miles, don't imagine its been run too hard before I got it. It will smoke a little now, wouldn't when i got it but it still runs strong. I would not try a turbo though.

·
274 Posts
just adding more fuel i can't say i'd expect to really feel a difference. you sure would see the smoke though. naturally aspirated diesel, plus increased fuel=smoke, you might see some gain at higher rpm but the small car diesels are already turning about as fast as you want to twist them. you could try turning the timing a couple points, also a small gain. my bro used to have a diesel rabbit and if you got it hot a high rpm it would start to inhale motor oil somehow. it felt like nitrous coming in, but it smoked out the whole highway with grey smoke and clattered like it was going to fly apart. a small turbo or blower say 5-10 psi and watch the egts, if a guy didn't lug it, or keep his foot in it too long, might live okay

·
1,836 Posts
Turn up the fuel with propane - just a little for a cleaner burn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts